Tummy tuck without muscle repair?

I'm 45 years old, I have asthma, I never had children( don't plan on it either), I previously had lipo on abdomen, 10 years ago, resulting in saggy skin on my stomach .After consulting with my plastic surgeon that stated he could not tighten my stomach muscles due to asthma and would be dangerous if I had an asthma attack. Will the results be worth the money spent?

Tummy Tuck without muscle repair

Thanks for your inquiry.  I think it may be worth you seeking out a second opinion in this case because oftentimes it is okay to perform tummy tuck with muscle repair on patients with asthma as long as it is well-controlled.  I hope this is helpful. 

Tummy Tuck Without Muscle Repair

I agree with most of the responses made by fellow surgeons. You may not need muscle tightening if you haven't gone through significant weight changes or pregnancies that may loosen your abdominal wall or cause a diastasis. A history of asthma is not a contraindication for having surgery and should not be a problem post-operatively if it is medically controlled. A pre-operative discussion and medical clearance by your primary care physician will put any necessary plans in place. Then the next step is to choose a plastic surgeon who will give you a thorough examination and a very informative consult so that you feel comfortable in getting the results you desire. I highly recommend that you find one who has many before/after photos of similar patients.

Hope this helps!

Tummy tuck surgery and asthma

Having asthma does not contraindicate surgery or tummy tuck surgery. You do have to optimize your respiratory function in order to avoid anesthesia related risks.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Tummy Tuck With or Without Muscle Repair

The need for muscle repair is easily determined by an examination. Asthma that is well controlled is not a contra-indication to a muscle repair. Loose saggy skin on the tummy years after liposuction likely can only be improved by a tummy tuck. Consider a second opinion from an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to come up with a plan to get the tummy you always wanted!

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck without muscle repair?

If you haven't had children, you may not require a muscle repair. A muscle repair is more common in women who have had their abdominal wall stretched by a pregnancy.Tummy tuck recovery, when no muscle repair was performed, is much easier. When your muscle is repaired, there are lifting restrictions and more discomfort after surgery.Consider consultations with more board-certified plastic surgeons, so you can hear your surgical options.

Muscle repair and tummy tuck

You are correct in that most abdominoplasties are combines with a muscle repair if the "six Pack" muscles. This still can be done even though you have asthma, but it depends on the severity of your asthma.  Your Plastic Surgeon want to be safe and not compramize your breathing, but this question should be asked of your asthma doctor.

Tummy tuck without muscle repair?

Not all patients need or want a muscle repair during a TT, it is optional, but may change the results. You would need an exam to answer the question regarding your status. I have several patients a year that either do not need or do not want their muscle repaired and they get excellent results. BTW, the recovery is dramatically easier without muscle repair. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy Tuck without Muscle Repair

Some patients can have great results without tightening the abdominal muscles (fascia).  The best candidates have excess skin, relaxed skin, and some fat which can be contoured with liposuction.   Good candidates for this procedure have either not had children, or have good muscle tone and contour, despite pregnancy.  I have treated many patients with asthma successfully, as has many of my colleagues.   Your asthma should be well-controlled, and we work with your doctor to know that you are optimized prior to your procedure.    I would recommend you see a few plastic surgeons to get some opinions and I wish you the best!    Dr. Bresnick

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Muscle tightening in a tummy tuck

Most women who have not have children don't require much tightening of the deep fascia.  However an experienced plastic surgeon can tell quickly whether muscle tightening would help.  An experienced plastic surgeon can tell you what is realistic and what your expected outcome should be; only you can decide whether the procedure is worth the money.Given your problems with skin waviness, a skin lift will almost certainly benefit you.There are less invasive options available for many patients.With an experienced board certified anesthesiologist with hospital credentials, asthma should not be a significant barrier to performing the surgery.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tummy tuck and asthma myths

The muscle rarely needs to be tightened if you have not had kids, And that's the painful part of the procedure anyways. I recommend you check to see if you have a diastasis or not (posted elsewhere, type in "how do I tell if I have a diastasis?"). If you DO have a diastasis then it's fine to fix it even if you have asthma. The lungs actually function better when your abdominal wall is anatomically fully functional anyway.  Make sure you control your asthma during the post op period, and if you have uncontrolled asthma you shouldn't have surgery.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS