Can I get a BA without a lift? (photos)

I've had 3 consults. One of the surgeons said that I may want to consider a breast lift, one said he would want to get into surgery and place the implant before deciding whether I needed a lift and one said he believes I will have pleasing results without a lift using 310cc high profile implants under the muscle. I'm considering booking my surgery with the last surgeon- he seemed the most confident. I'm 32 with no children. Can I get a BA without a lift and still have nice results???

BA

It can be confusing with so many different opinions and approaches to this issue.  If you want to be bigger, then a simple implant in the dual plan should suffice.  If you want a perky lifted look, thena lift would be needed, possibly with a small implant.  All options are correct but it mostly depends on your desired look. 

BA Without A Lift

Thank you for your question and photos. As others have stated, you do not lose the option to consider a lift in the future if you wish to pursue only augmentation for now. A high profile implant can create a slightly lifted look however when the areolas have descended to or below the level of the crease, it may  not be possible to avoid a sagging result. There are limitations to what this approach can achieve and I recommend that you have a frank discussion about realistic expectations with your Plastic Surgeon. I advise you to proceed with the plan and surgeon that you are most comfortable with.

All the best

Breast augmentation without a lift can give you good results

I agree with you and the last surgeon's advice. From the photos you posted, it looks like you could get a good resut. An implant can give the illusion of a lift. After a minimum of 9 months, when the implants have settled, if your breasts aren't as perky as you had hoped, you could get a lift at that time. Looking at before and after pictures of women who are similar to you can also give you a good idea of what can be accomplished. You should also be aware that your results may change in the future with pregnancy and/or significant weight change. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Best of luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and lift

Hi and thank you for the question and the photos based upon your desires and the shape of your breast you would do well to have the implants. It is true that there is some laxity and ptosis of your breast however your question indicates you do not have children yet.

In these cases I generally recommend to do the implants first and then consider the lift in the future after you finish with pregnancies and breastfeeding.

As always it's best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health care concern and you have are managed by your primary care doctor.Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

If you choose breast augmentation only then an anatomical high projected implant would be the best way to try and elevate the nipple height. A breast lift will most likely give you a more aesthetic result as a one stage procedure with breast implants. you could choose Augmentation primarily and see if you like the result. Best to consult with a surgeon who can show you results of augmentation only , augments and lifts as a one stage and two stage procedure so that you are empowered to make the decision you feel is best.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Do I really Need a Breast Lift in addition to the Implant?

No one really needs a Breast Augmentation or a Breast Lift or any Cisnetic Surgery and no one has ever died from NOT having one. All these are WANT not NEED operation. 
As a principal breast implant increase the size of the breast and then slowly pull it down with time. Any Kudting they cause is very temporary. A Breast Lift or Mastopexy actually lifts and repositions the down looking nipple complex into a forward looking position on the breast. 
If you are going to be happy with larger but still sagging breasts there is no reason to lift the breasts at the time of augmentation. It will give you a chance to see what you look like and have it done later. But you need to be realistic about it and realize doing a Breat Augmentation with a Lift, especially since your breasts are asymmetric, would probably give you a much better result than only an augmentation. 

Peyer Aldea MD

Lift and Augmentation

Hi and thank you for your question! Sometimes the easiest route is not always the best. Although you may not want to proceed with a lift, you may find that you won't achieve the results you were looking for. You're a perfect candidate for a lift and augmentation but should you decide to only go with implants, you're likely have have the "rocks in socks" look. Good luck in whichever route you decide!

Lift or not

You are in the middle of needing a lift or not so it depends on you and what your goals are. If you are ok with your nipples bring a bit low but having a better shape than you can just do the implant.  Keep in mind that if you are fearful of the scar you can always have the augmentation and wait until the implants have settled and consider a lift later 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lift or not

All of the surgeons are correct, yet the only correct answer depends on your desired results.

Based solely on your photos, since your nipple position is in fairly good relationship to your breast fold, it appears that placing an implant alone without a lift will give you the volume and fill up the breast and give some degree of "lift" to the nipple position.  

However, since you have laxity and skin excess of the lower half of the breast and the breast tissue sags a little below the fold, after an augmentation their will likely still be that issue with the breast tissue and the implant sagging below the fold and the entire breast looking like it sits low without much upper pole fullness and cleavage, unless in a bra.

This is a natural look for a lot of people, so if you want your breasts to look like they would if they just naturally had more breast tissue (volume), then this may be the way you should go.

However, if you want a "perky" appearing breast that does not look like it says down below the fold and has upper fullness, then some degree of lift is probably the best solution.  The trade-off, or course, is for additional scars.

In your case, you are somewhat borderline.  It would not be unreasonable to allow your surgeon to decide on the lift at the time of surgery,once he/she gets the implants in, or to just do the augmentation and wait to see how you like the result and get a lift later if needed.

My gut feeling is that you will want the look of both the implant and the lift better than just the implant so, again based only on these photos, I would lean towards doing both at the initial surgery if you are willing to accept the scars involved with the lift (which would likely be the "lollipop."

Go with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in these procedures and with whom you feel comfortable and confident.  

Christopher W. Chase, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Implant with Lift?

Generally, when I look at whether a patient needs a lift I look at several factors. I will share what I think are the three most significant. 1) Whether I can see white under the nipple areola complex when looking at a patient straight-on, and/or; 2) The degree to which the lower-most part of the breast hangs down past the patients natural breast crease (2 cm being the cut-off), and/or; 3) The distance of the nipple from the mid-clavicle or sternal notch with normal being between 21-23 cm (for most women). With these questions in mind, it would be difficult to tell whether you require a lift without appropriate measurements. From the photos however, I would guess that your nipple to sternal notch distance is more than 23 cm and that the lowermost part of the breast is more than 2 cm from your natural breast crease. If that is the case, you would need a lift along with (or after) the placement of the implants. Otherwise, the end of the breast will 'snoopy-nose' off the end of the newly augmented breast mound, resulting in an unaesthetic breast shape. 

Hope that helps! Best of luck. 

Jeffrey C. Dawes MD, FRCSC