What does a "full cup" mean when speaking about breast augmentation ?

A friend have her surgery down about two years ago and she said her breast were a full cup. They look amazing but I'm not sure what he meant.

Cup size

The trouble with using cup size as a goal is that there is no standardization for bra manufacturers to moderate Bra sizes. You will find that measurements vary between brands.

I recommend that you try on the implant sizers which your Plastic Surgeon determines to be a fit for you, then decide which volumes give you the look and feel that you want- regardless of cc's.

Without your precise breast measurements it would be impossible to provide you with accurate sizing. Bringing "wish pics" can help and sharing exactly the kind of result that you are going for with your surgeon will be important.

Be sure to seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Full cup size

Dear Jenny,
   A full C cup means that the breasts are 1/2 size bigger than C cup. Indeed , this is a very attractive and natural size and it is the most popular cup size in my practice.
 Selecting the right implants size depends on the chest and breasts circumference measurements in inches, your desired size and your tissue elasticity. Say, you are 34 small A cup size and you want  to become 34 full C cup. You will need implants with volume of 450 cc. For 32 full C - 375 cc.
  Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most important, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery. to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.
                                Dr Widder

Full cup

Thank you for your question. The term full cup means different things to different people. I personally like to use sizers and photos to obtain an good idea of what the patient is looking for in terms of size and appearance. I recommend finding a board certified plastic surgeon who is also a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons for an in person consultation. Make sure he/she spends the time with you to determine to correct size you are looking for. 

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Cup Size after Breast Augmentation

I appreciate your concern, because size does matter when seeking a natural looking result in breast augmentation. I ask my patients to bring in photos of breasts the size they desire, because there can otherwise be confusion because B or C cup can vary greatly by brassiere manufactures! I also utilize the implant in the bra technique, with several different implant sizes with a tighter fitting T-shirt to get an idea of what you will look like. Finally, I prefer to meet with my breast implant patients at least twice before surgery, so I am confident that I know exactly what her desires regarding shape and size are. I then have several sized implants in the patient's desired range available in the OR to allow me to tailor the operation to her needs. Be certain your surgeon understands your desires and you should do great as this operation carries a very high satisfaction rate. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast augmentation

I think with your friend was describing was her bra size, And I think this is always slightly confusing. There is no good consistent measurement of cup size. However, to me when someone says a full C, I think they mean to fill up the entire C cup to give them slightly more upper pole volume. Determining what size you would like to be is a process that your plastic surgeon will take you through to give you the exact shape and size you desire. I would suggest talking about this with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Cup sizes not a good way to communicate goals…

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Cup size

Thank you for the question.  What your friend is describing might be about the cup size.  Various aspects could affect the choice of implants
like breast tissue, body measurements, desired end result and the like.
Bra sizes also differ from one manufacturer to another so a carefully
selected implant can be able to get you very close to that size.  It is always best to visit a board-certified
plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr.
Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic
surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Cup sizes

Cup sizes are bra sizes. Traditionally, for every 1cm of breast projection from the chest wall is 1 cup size. 1cm of projection is an A cup, 2cm is a B cup, 3cm is a C Cup, and so forth.

Thank you for your question. Usually a 350cc implant will give 2 cup size increase in breast size.

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Board Certified Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Going up a Full Cup Size with Breast Augmentation

Your friend may have meant that after surgery her breast size had gone up a full cup size. This usually means that the bra she wears now is 1 cup size larger than the bra she wore before surgery--she moved from a B to a C or a C to a D. A general rule of thumb is that 150 cc implants will increase breast size 1 bra cup size. But this is only an estimate. Cup size is influenced by many things, including the brand of bra you buy. Because cup sizes vary as much as women's breasts vary, you will find that a wide variety of breast volume will fit in the same cup size. If someone tells me they want to go up a full cup size that means to me that they want to be on the larger side of a particular cup size. I would generally recommend looking at a 200-250cc implant in that case.

I hope this helps!

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Full cup breast augmentation

Thanks for the question

Unfortunately in breast surgery there is not a good language to discuss all this.  Lots of women like to discuss their breasts in terms of cup sizes....but one woman with  B cup could look totally different to a surgeon from another woman with a B cup.  Surgeons usually like to speak in volume or CCs.  Again, this is very arbitrary and subjective as well.  I am not sure what they mean by a Full cup.  They may have meant a "FULL C Cup" or a "Full D Cup".  When we say a full C Cup, we are basically saying....a D cup, but we still want to call it a C cup maybe because some women still feel like having big breasts is not "appropriate" and socially acceptable

Hope this helps
Good Luck