What Can I Do For The Stroke Side of my Face That is More Noticeable Now?

Hi. I Had a Stroke 11 Years Ago and the Stroke Side of my Face is More Noticeable Now Especially Under my Eye I Am 47 Nowit's different to my other eye now can you tell me what i could have done .the stroke was caused through anaesthetic .

Doctor Answers 8

Asymmetry of the face after stroke

It would have been nice if you had provided some pictures, but nevertheless, the asymmetry on the affected side can be made less noticeable if you get facial fillers or a surgical procedure. A plastic surgeon may be able to offer A-Z treatment options for you.

Buffalo Phlebologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Botox and correction

I would suggest visiting a well-trained and experienced provider to discuss your health issue and what you'd like to see. Typically the unaffected side of the face is treatable, but I would be certain you have a thorough discussion of expectations and efficacy, prior to treatment. Your health history is important to disclose.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Asymmetry After Stroke

There are certain procedures which can be performed to lessen the sequela of strokes on facial muscles.  Obtain a consultation with a BC plastic surgeon who has experience with these procedures with whom you can discuss your options.

John Whitt, MD (retired)
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

What Can I Do For The Stroke Side of my Face That is More Noticeable Now?

It would be best to see an Oculoplastic surgeon for an opinion.  There are several treatmnentrs available depending on your findings.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Facial/eyelid paralysis treatment

There are various nonsurgical and surgical options to help improve the symmetry, appearance and eye/facial function of patients with unilateral facial/eyelid paralysis. Click on the provided link for more info.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

What Can I Do For The Stroke Side of my Face That is More Noticeable Now?

There are numerous procedures available to rehabilitate a paralyzed face. These can be either static (lifting, tightening and respositioning tissue) or dynamic (redirecting other non-paralyzed muscle to return some semblance of normal muscle activity to the face). These options are very effective in experienced hands. Seek a Facial Plastic Surgeon for further discussion of your options and to determine exactly what is needed to achieve your goals. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 129 reviews

What can I do for the stroke side of my face?

It's difficult to be specific without pictures. As a general statement there are a number of techniques and procedures that are used in patients with long term facial paralysis  to improve appearance and function. I would suggest a consult with a facial or general plastic surgeon with experience in this area.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Botox and fillers can offer symmetry for patients with facial palsy

Because of the muscle weakness on the side of the face that had the stroke the two sides of your face will age differently. This will become more apparent over time and as you naturally age. Neuromodulators such as Botox, Xeomin and Dysport, often along with appropriate soft tissue fillers, properly placed, can dramatically improve the symmetry and balance of the face, looking natural and beautiful.  This is an advanced injection technique and, especially in this case, needs to be done by a properly trained aesthetic physician.

Doris Day, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.