What can I do to make my stretch marks after breast augmentation go away?

i really don't like the stretch marks on my boobs i sometimes don't even want to show them off because of them

Stretch Marks After BA

Stretch marks are not a common consequence of breast augmentation, but for the unfortunate few they can be very distressing. Stretch marks come from a rapid stretching of the dermis (or deeper layers of the skin) resulting in tears and weakening of dermal layer and thinning of the skin in these areas. Once the dermis tears nothing really reverses the process. Over time stretch marks usually go from being pink or red when they are new to lighter or more pale as they mature. Treatments such as lasers or topical creams offered by some dermatologists may speed up the maturing process, but nothing actually repairs the damage from the stretching. Retin A that you asked about causes an increase in skin cell turnover (or exfoliation) and would not influence the thickness of the dermis in any way. The best advice is patience….they naturally improve a lot over time.

Laser treatment of stretch marks after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear that you have stretch marks after breast augmentation.

Stretch marks cannot be completely removed without surgery, which is impossible a your case as surgery would deform your breast.

The 1549 fractional erbium laser can reduce the size and color of stretch marks.  Many doctors will tell you that lasers cannot improve stretch marks.  Do not believe them.  The 1540 is a new laser treatment, the benefits have been published and I have experienced these benefits in my own patients.

Stretch marks after breast augmentation

Thank you for your picture. Unfortunately there's nothing to be done about stretch marks. Stretch marks are actually damage to the collagen beneath the skin and cannot be fixed. Your breast augmentation makes the stretch marks a little more prominent because your breasts are bigger.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, M.D., DDS, FACS

How do you treat stretch marks after breast augmentation?

Early on after breast augmentation, the breasts are quite swollen which will exacerbate the appearance of stretch marks and scars. Often, after the swelling resolves (which may take several months) the stretch marks will go back to where they were before the surgery. However, if they persist or continue to bother you a laser may be able to help reduce the appearance but will not make them go completely away. A series of BBL/IPL or 1064 laser treatments can treat any redness and a fractional erbium laser can help tighten up the skin and reduce the appearance. This process often requires monthly treatments for 6 months or more but often will help! Most patients get good results with this treatment option.  It's best to speak to your plastic surgeon to see what they recommend or if they can refer you to someone with experience in laser scar treatment!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks after breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question and pictures.

Stretch marks are very difficult to make "go away" completely as they are a sign of a permanent change to your skin.  That said, looking at your pictures, the violet/reddish appearance of your stretch marks is something that could be targeted and improved with laser treatment if it does not improve to your satisfaction over time.  I recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon.  If he or she doesn't do laser therapy, perhaps they can recommend an expert near you and help you set up a consultation.
Best of luck to you,

Ruth Celestin, MD 

Ruth Celestin, MD

Breast augmentation

The stretch marks are a difficult problem because they represent tears in the dermis of the skin.  That makes it nearly impossible to correct.

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!