Strattice Has Been Mentioned in a Link I Read Regarding Capsular Contraction. What is Strattice?

What is Strattice?

Strattice is a Porcine Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) --- Pig skin with all of the cells removed and epidermis or outer skin cells and processed to make it non-reactive to the humans.  It is my go to device for recurrent capsular contracture/excessive scar tissue around breast implants.  I have over 300 patients with soft breasts now after using this material some having 10 prior surgeries.  I currently us another material = Galaflex in patients that need support or patients with malposition.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Acellular dermal matrix is a biologic implant that carries the ability to become integrated into native tissue. It is made by taking a full thickness section of skin from a donor source (his human, porcine, or bovine in origin). These materials may be helpful as a supportive matrix, help with the breast implant displacement/malposition, provide additional support where a capsule repair (capsulorraphy) is carried out ( such as cases involving bottoming out, lateral displacement, symmastia) etc. I have also found the material to be very helpful when it comes to treating severe breast implant rippling/palpability concerns. Furthermore, the acellular dermal matrix is very helpful when it comes to treating challenging/recurrent cases of breast implant encapsulation.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to specifically to the use of acellular dermal matrix for breast surgery, helpful to you as you learn more. You will find a separate page, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns as well.

What is Strattice?

Strattice is an acellular dermal matrix dervied from porcine dermis.  The pig skin is treated so that all the cells are removed, and you basically just have a sheet of collagen.  This sheet of collagen is used to reconstruct tissue and improve results.

Dennis Dass, MD

Strattice and capsular contracture

Think of Strattice as an internal bra. It is a material made from pig skin that actually transforms into your own tissue over time. It seems to be very effective at preventing capsular contracture and is the "go-to" option for recurrent contractures. It also adds support and coverage. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Strattice and Capsular Contracture?

Strattice is a sterile acellular dermal matrix (ADM) product that comes from a porcine (pig) source.  Think of it as a pig collagen matrix that is compatible with humans.  In terms of its role in treating capsular contracture:  There is emerging data showing that AlloDerm ( human ADM product ) may have a role in slowing down or preventing capsular contracture.  In fact, I published a clinical paper on this very topic in December 2010 issue of our primary plastic surgery journal: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. However, even as an primary author of this study, it is still too premature to guarantee that ADMs prevent capsular contracture. But there is growing evidence support this claim.

Dr. Basu

Basu Plastic Surgery - Houston, TX

Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery: December 2010 - Volume 126 - Issue 6 - pp 1842-1847 doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181f44674 Breast: Original Articles Acellular Cadaveric Dermis Decreases the Inflammatory Response in Capsule Formation in Reconstructive Breast Surgery Basu, C. Bob M.D., M.P.H.; Leong, Mimi M.D., M.S.; Hicks, M. John M.D., Ph.D.

AbstractBackground: Acellular cadaveric dermis in implant-based breast reconstruction provides an alternative to total submuscular placement. To date, there has been no detailed in vivo human analysis of the histopathologic sequelae of acellular cadaveric dermis in implant-based breast reconstruction. Based on clinical observations, we hypothesize that acellular cadaveric dermis decreases the inflammatory response and foreign body reaction normally seen around breast implants.

Methods: Twenty patients underwent tissue expander reconstruction using the “dual-plane” acellular cadaveric dermis technique (AlloDerm). During implant exchange, intraoperative biopsy specimens were obtained of (1) biointegrated acellular cadaveric dermis and (2) native subpectoral capsule (internal control). Histopathologic analysis was performed. Masked biopsy specimens were scored semiquantitatively by an experienced histopathologist to reflect observed granulation tissue formation, vessel proliferation, chronic inflammatory changes, capsule fibrosis, fibroblast cellularity, and foreign body giant cell inflammatory reaction. Scores were analyzed statistically using the Wilcoxon signed rank test.

Results: Acellular cadaveric dermis (AlloDerm) had statistically diminished levels for all parameters compared with corresponding native breast capsules (p < 0.001).

Conclusions: This represents the first detailed histopathologic comparative analysis between biointegrated acellular cadaveric dermis and native capsules in implant-based breast reconstruction. These histopathologic findings suggest that certain properties intrinsic to acellular cadaveric dermis may limit capsule formation by diminishing inflammatory changes that initiate capsule formation. Further investigation is needed to determine whether acellular cadaveric dermis reduces the incidence of breast capsular contracture.

Tweet

Strattice and Capsular Contracture

Strattice is an acellular dermal matrix (ADM) product similar to Alloderm. These products are often used in breast reconstruction and breast revision procedures. They can  enhance your own tissue by reinforcing the implant pocket or by providing added coverage over the implant. There is some evidence that there is a reduced incidence of capsular contracture when acellular dermal matrices are used.

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS