After vein closure on both legs, will the appearance of my veins and spiderveins especially on my lower legs improve?

Vein closure results

It is the combination of a venous closure technique along with sclerotherapy and/or micro-phlebectomy that will give you the best results for discomfort and improved cosmetic appearance.  

Beverly Hills Physician

VNUS Closure is FDA approved to treat venous insufficiency and not varicose veins

VNUS Closure is FDA approved to treat venous insufficiency and not varicose veins, reticular veins or spider veins. 

Additional procedures are likely to be needed to clear the burden of varicose and reticular and spider veins.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo Phlebologist

EVLT and spider veins

Once the vein closure is performed, tributary veins of the greater saphenous tend to disappear. I combine medical ablation of veins with future cosmetic spider vein injections to get optimal results. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Post Closure

After closure procedures or EVLA procedures, the spider, reticular and varicose veins can get smaller but often require other treatments such as sclerotherapy, microphlebectomies or foam sclerotherapy procedures

Susan Fox, DO
Hollywood Phlebologist

Improvement of veins after closure

The vein size will get smaller after the closure procedure but to completely get rid of the spider or reticular veins you will need sclerotherapy. 

Ramandeep Sidhu, MD
Issaquah Vascular Surgeon

Spider Veins

I would recommend sclerotherapy of the spider veins to improve the appearance of your legs after vein closure. In my experience, patients had the best results with sclerotherapy after vein closures. 

W.Y. Chung, MD
Honolulu Phlebologist

Improvement in veins after closure

The varicose and spider veins in the lower legs will not disappear after the Closure procedure (now called Venefit). Large varicose veins may appear less bulging but they will need to be treated separately with phlebectomy or sclerotherapy to get them to completely resolve. Spider veins also will need to be treated separately with injection or laser sclerotherapy. 

Mark S. Kim, MD
Puyallup Phlebologist

Spider Veins after vein closures

It has been my experience that although varicose veins can reduce greatly after vein closure procedures, spider veins usually will still need to be treated with sclerotherapy. However, if you do not treat the underlying disease, the sclerotherapy does not give you optimal results.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Spider veins

You may notice some improvement in the spider veins after closure of incompetent saphenous veins, but they are unlikely to go away completely.  I tell my patients to think of the veins like a balloon filled with water.  Even if you empty out the water, the balloon gets smaller, but never goes back to its original size and shape.  Now that you have corrected the cause of the spider veins, you will get better results with cosmetic treatment of them with sclerotherapy or laser (I prefer laser treatment for these)

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Vein Closure and Veins

After a vein closure procedure the leaking (refluxing) valves of the treated veins should be resolved.  Varicose veins may shrink somewhat but usually will need to be additionally treated either by removal through tiny incisions or sclerotherapy.  Spider veins will not disappear from a closure procedure but will need further sclerotherapy to eradicate them.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon