Should I get a breast reduction? (Photo)

I have been a size 40DDD since I was a freshman in high school. When I got pregnant I went up to an F and now I am back down to a 40DDD. I do weigh a little on the heavier side but even before I gained weight with pragnancy I was the same size I am now. I have neck and back pain and when i lay diwn i often feel choked and sometime while im working i feel smashed. So will weight loss really reduce my bra size and would a reduction be a good choice?

As you mentioned, your breasts were the same size even when you weighed less.  So a breast reduction would be your best option to eliminate your symptoms of back, neck, and shoulder pain.

Should I get a breast reduction?

Thank you for the question and very nice picture. 

Based on your description, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point; breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  Best to achieve your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding.  

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces AND lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall (in other words, the breasts are "automatically" lifted when a breast reduction is performed). By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly. Best NOT  to communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size; this type of communication can be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures during this communication phase;  many patients wish to remove enough breast tissue to improve/alleviate symptoms while maintaining upper/lower body proportionality. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps.

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question and picture. It is hard to tell from your picture, but if you are indeed a 40 DDD that is too much weight for your shoulders and neck to handle and therefore a breast reduction would be a good idea.  See a board certified PS for you consultation.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Scarless breast reduction

This seems like a wonderful  opportunity for the Scarless approach which uses liposuction only.  Quicker safer simpler outpatient procedure done under sedation not general anesthesia with a very quick recovery. Find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who offers this option and look into it. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a breast reduction with 40DDD breasts?

Thank you for your question and you are good candidate for a breast reduction.  If you want to lose more weight this might affect the size of your breasts but I don't think that change the need for a reduction. This procedure will help reduce you back pain, shoulder pain and difficulty with breathing when you lay down.  Every insurance company is different on their requirements for approval and can be difficult to get approved but with time and persistence you will most likely get this approved.  I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you through this process and help you determine realistic goals.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain. In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery. In this regard, for your height and weigh, I recommend getting a B cup, this size would look good on you.   Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Should I get a breast reduction?

Your symptoms are consistent with those we see in patients with breast hypertrophy and typically are dramatically improved with breast reduction. It is best to have your BMI at or below 30 before surgery if you are heavy. Your breasts may not change much in size but it reduces your surgical and anesthesia risks. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Reduction

Essentially, anybody who desires to have smaller breasts (for whatever reason) is a candidate for breast reduction surgery.  The only difference is that if you are having symptoms, insurance is more likely to pay for the procedure.
I recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  You may want to try weight loss first and see if your breast size does decrease, but my guess is that a breast reduction will provide more relief for you.  Many surgeons have had the experience that in some patients a breast reduction actually IMPROVES WEIGHT LOSS, as having smaller breasts makes exercise easier and more efficient.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Immediate relief

I think you are sound like a great candidate for a reduction.  The symptom relief truly is almost immediate.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  It sounds like weight is not your problem--your breasts have been large since your early teens.  Good luck, Jane.

Breast reduction

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most common, and most satisfying operations we do in plastic surgery. Provided you are healthy, and a non-smoker, you would likely be a good candidate. The first step is a consultation with a plastic surgeon near you who will start the process with insurance coverage for you. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon