Should I Stop Taping the Incision if Still On/off Leaking? 4wks Post (photo)

I got some answers saying that my incision leaking due to : quoted from a Doctor from this site: "absorbable" sutures. Although for the most part they do indeed resorb, your body sometimes extrudes all or part of these sutures for weeks after the procedure. So should i stop taping(paper) my incision for a couple wks so it heals?b/c everytime i change the tape, it pulls off the scab again and then it looks like a frest cut again? I'm just scared then it will effect my scar appearance?

Should I continue to tape my scars?

Taping is a valuable addition to wound healing and leaves nice thin scars.  Several studies have shown that taping post surgical scars in plastic surgery for 6 weeks or greater leaves better scarring than several of the most popular "scar" creams on the market.  That being said, if you have any draining or "stitch spitting" under your tape, you should stop taping that section of the incision.  You can resume taping once the area heals. As always, ask your surgeon if you are unsure about the way you are healing. Hope this helps.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Taping of Scars

Taping can be a valuable addition to making thin scars. It keeps tension off the repair while your body is laying down protein to make a strong seal.  If you are accumulating moisture under the tape, let it dry in that area before you resume taping.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Leaking incision

I would recommend leaving the tape off of any incision that drains. This will allow the drainage to come out and not accumulate under the tape. If it accumulates it may cause an infection. BUT, always check with your Dr.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon