Need to Close Stomach Muscles After Surgery From Major Accident?

I met up In a major accIdent and I tore my intestine so my surgeon loosened my stomach muscles and their was skin graft done on My stomach because I had a drain on my stomach.I need to close my stomach muscles but I want minimum scarring.Should I do the operation by the same surgeon and then go to a plastic surgeon to do cosmetic or do I do the closIng of the muscles by a plastIc surgeon I do have extra skin to cut out the scar and stretch the skin

Doctor Answers 2

Abdominal Reconstruction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend evaluation by your trauma surgeon to determine if you are a safe candidate for further surgery and what time frame is most appropriate.   It is difficult for me to answer this without a picture.  If you require more reconstruction, your surgeon will recommend a plastic surgeon who specializes in complex abdominal reconstruction.    


I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.


Dr. Gill

Houston Plastic Surgeon

Need to Close Stomach Muscles After Surgery From Major Accident?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think you are much better off having the surgeon that did your trauma surgery do this next procedure. He knows where the danger areas are, and will be able to handle any unforeseen problems that might occur within the abdominal cavity. Later, after your abdominal wall is securely repaired, see a plastic surgeon if there are scars to deal with.

Best wishes. Thanks for the question.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.