Has a stitch ripped? - labiaplasty (Photo)

I had my labiaplasty (wedge) 11 days ago and I have been healing well. I went to have my weekly check up on day 7 and all was fine. Between now and then I think I must have ripped a stitch in my sleep. Do I need to tell my surgeon? Will this need to be stitched up? If so, will the healing time now be longer? Please let me know!

Labiaplasty

You should keep you surgeon informed of your healing progress.  I would suggest making him/her aware of the stitch in case your surgeon wishes to repair it. 

Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in labiaplasty procedure and has an extensive photo gallery. This will help ensure a good result with optimal aftercare.

Labiaplasty

It appears you had a posterior wedge labiaplasty, which is more prone to disruption. You will probably need a revision of your labiaplasty after it heals.  As the inventor and innovator of the central wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Ripped stitch

Looks like you have small area of incision separation on the right labium. Things like that can happen. Not much can be done at this point but it will heal eventually even though may take little longer. Try to keep the area dry and clean. Please ask you surgeon for any additional recommendations.

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

Wedge labiaplasty partial scar separation

You may have had a partial thickness scar separation on the inner aspect of the right side. The entire right side is at risk of separating. Keep pressure off the area. There is nothing else to do. Restitching is not an option because the tissues are brittle at this point in time and will not hold any additional sutures.

Has a stitch ripped?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your procedure. I am sorry to see your incision separation but I would contact your surgeon to let them know.  Though the swelling of the tissues will prevent additional suture placement you should receive appropriate wound care instructions to avoid any worsening and to help your wound heal. Hope this helps.