Can I sue my dental office for negligence?

While looking at my 2015 dental Xray there is clear sign of decay on a tooth next to one that I got a crown. I was never informed of the decay. The crown has always caused pain, often my gums hurt just above the crown, they still look swollen a year later. The cavity spread from the tooth they didn't tell me about to the crown. Now I need a crown replacement and a root canal/crown on the tooth they didn't inform me about having the tooth decay.

Doctor Answers 2


I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your dentist. There are many ways to handle this situation besides a law suit. It sounds as if you have switched dentists, I suggest returning to the original dentist and having a discussion about your current situation. Most dentists are willing to make the situation right for the patient. This may come in the form of reimbursement for treatment performed or treatment needed. If this is not an option the local dental society may have a peer review or dispute resolution system in place. Rarely is a law suit necessary to settle a situation such as yours. I hope this information is helpful.

Case of Negligence

You should ask them because this is not the thing to be ignored. Due to the decay in your tooth you had suffer. This is really very bad thing they have did.

Shahin Safarian, DMD
San Diego Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.