My incision site feels very firm and thick and is making my stomach stick out. What should I do?

Tummy sticking out after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

It sounds as though you had liposuction recently - always an anxious time.
  • The lower abdomen swells and gets firm as the result of liposuction
  • You will not see your result right away
  • You need to wait 6 weeks to see significant improvement - 6 months for your final result.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Post surgical scars

It is difficult to give an answer without more information or photos.  How long ago was your procedure?  Scars thicken and feel firm the first several weeks after surgery and then begin to soften and fade as they mature.  It is probably best to visit with your surgeon who can update you on what is expected at this stage in your recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

The area treated by liposuction will feel firm for a while.

In general what you describe is completely anticipated. If you have any specific concerns you should bring them up to your own plastic surgeon.

Incision Site Not Healing Well After Liposuction

This sounds like you should speak to your physician as my patients who undergo liposuction rarely have any issues post procedure or at their surgical sites.  Did you have another procedure performed at the same time like a tummy tuck?  I suggest posting photos.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Need photos

What surgery did you have and how long ago?  It would be helpful to post photos.  You may want to consult with your surgeon to find out whether it is normal and if it can be helped.