How much would it cost to correct my tuberous breast? (photo)

I've been saving for a while now and I am a college student, so I was wondering how much it would approximately cost to correct this deformity (considering I live in California & would most likely get it done here). I also wanted to know what implant size would look best on me. What's the biggest I could go, that would still give me a beautiful looking breast? I also would get silicone gel implants.

Costs will vary

Thank you for reaching out. You will definitely find that costs will vary from surgeon to surgeon based on their experience, surgery center and a few other factors. Please visit experienced board certified surgeons and find one that you trust. Find the best surgeon for you that has plenty of experience with tuberous breast, but price should be secondary to experience. Best of luck! Dr. Kim

Costs will vary

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Tuberous Breasts

Thank you for your question and photo. In order to correct herniated areolas, release constricted breast tissue and enlarge/reshape the breasts, a combination of lift and breast implant placement will likely be recommended for you.

You must see a Plastic Surgeon in person for an exam and detailed discussion of your expectations. Be sure to seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon who has plenty of experience in this area. The costs will vary between practices and locations and typically, you must be seen in person to determine your personalised quote because there are some variables in approach.

All the best

Tuberous Breasts

All the best

When you say 'correct my tuberous' breasts, what are you expecting?

Your expectations would dictate costs.  If you just wanted an augmentation and was accepting of a mild double bubble, that is all you need.  But if you wanted your areola smaller and/or lifted, that would require a mastopexy which would add to costs and result in  more scarring.  So the cost will depend on what you want.  Augmentation in my town runs from $5700-$7700, depending on what implant you choose.  This cost is all-inclusive.

How much would it cost to correct my tuberous breast?

From your photo, I believe you are correct that your breasts are tuberous in shape.  To correct this situation and create a rounder, fuller breast, with expanded (wider) base, would require a subglandular breast augmentation with release of the deep surface of the breast gland along with a donut (Benelli) breast lift.  Depending on the individual case and time involved, this procedure can run approximately $10,000 to $11,000.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

The cost for breast augmentation and improvement of your tuberous breasts will vary from city to city. So, it would be best to call around to get some estimates. Implant size will be determined during your consultation. Thank you for sharing your question and photo. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, #plasticsurgery

Tuberous Breast Deformity

Thank you for the photos.  You would be an ideal candidate for surgery and should have a very nice result if the correct procedures are performed with correct implant sizing and profile.

Your best bet is to search your area on the ASPS website (the plastic surgery society).  The surgeons on that site are board certified so there is no second guessing if you are seeing a boarded plastic surgeon.

Different areas have different costs for the surgery.  One part of suburb of your area may have different prices than another suburb.  Two surgeons in the same building may charge different rates.   Go on a couple to few consultations and ask to see the surgeons work on some tuberous breast surgeries.  You will know when you have found the best surgeon for you. 

Good luck.

Tuberous Breast Deformity

Good luck.

How Much Would It Cost To Correct My Tuberous Breasts?

Your tuberous breasts show many of the standard signs: 

1.  breast tissue herniating into the nipple areolar complex

2.  breast tissue missing from both the inferior medial and inferior lateral aspect of the breast

3.  wide set breasts 

To correct your pouty nipples and to decrease the overall size of your nipples, my preferred technique would be effectively a Benelli lift with dermal anchor sutures to eliminate the poutiness of nipples.  This technique was first introduced by Mel Dinner MD of Cleveland and later improved upon by Goao Carlos Sampaio Goes MD of Brazil.

The replacement of the lower half of your breasts is accomplished by opening your breast tissue down to the pectoralis muscle and releasing this breast tissue with five independent cuts to relieve the constriction present, and then placement of a subpectoral silicone breast implant (probably best served by using an Allergan round gummy bear implant).

Finally, improvement of the wide set breast is done by both the release of the constriction and by the base diameter of the implant augmentation.  

As you can see, this is not a simple surgery, however Northern California has several outstanding Board Certified plastic surgeons experienced in this type of procedure.  The cost of the surgery would depend upon the cost of the operating room, cost of anesthesia, and the skill and experience of the plastic surgeon you choose.  RealSelf has many surveys showing regional costs for surgeries of this nature, and I recommend you refer to RealSelf to get an idea of the general cost, but the specific cost can only be determined by consulting with two or three of these well trained plastic surgeons.

In Hawaii, the cost of the surgery that would be appropriate for you would be between $12,000 - $17,000.  I know this sounds like a lot of money, but if the surgery is done correctly the first time, it is truly worthwhile.  Do your homework.

3.  wide set breasts 

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  Your breasts do appear to show some characteristics of tuberous breasts.   You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breast augmentation

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation. In addition, it would help a great deal to correct your tuberous breast deformity. The size, profile, shape, texture, and type of implant (e.g., saline, silicone gel, “gummy bear”) is based on your desired versus existing breast size and shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality. Preoperative visualization and surgical simulation with the Crisalix system may help with your decision. Any treatment plan should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.    Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation in person with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck! 

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS 

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

Breast augmentation

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS 

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

Thank you for the question and picture. 

I think your breasts do demonstrate some of the qualities seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts; there is a wide range when it comes to tuberous/constricted breast presentation.

Generally speaking, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy” areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping). 

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  corrective surgery for constricted or tuberous breasts (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, 

I have found that the use of words such as “beautiful looking breast” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. In my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implants… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.  

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.

Thank you for the question and picture.