I had a c-section in 2010. My stomach came back open 2 days after staples were removed. Will insurance cover a tummy tuck?

I have no feeling in the my stomach from my belly button to the top of my private area I have actually zipped my stomach in my pants i could feel pain i just didn't know where the pain was coming from

I had a c-section in 2010. My stomach came back open 2 days after staples were removed. Will insurance cover a tummy tuck

What happened to you is a medical complication but the insurance will only pay to have the incision re-closed, no tummy tuck.

Insurance Coverage

You will have to call your insurance provider to determine if this would be something they'd cover. It my experience, it is unlikely that they will. 

All the best. 

Post c section

Probably not.It is rare for insurance to pay for anything let alone a tummy tuck.You can try but I doubt it.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

It is very unlikely your insurance will cover a cosmetic procedure. Best way to find out is to call and inquire. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy tuck covered by insurance

Hello and thank you for your question.  

Unfortunately, I highly doubt that your insurance will consider a tummy tuck medically necessary after a c-section dehiscence (incision opening up).  It's possible that they would cover a scar revision, especially if the scar is painful, or causes a functional issue like you described.  Every insurance company is different so I would recommend giving them a call.  It never hurts to ask!  

Best of luck to you,

Ruth Celestin, MD

Tummy tuck

Insurances will not cover a tummy tuck.  They may cover a scar revision if the wound dehisced and resulted in a wide hypertrophic scar.  

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your stomach issues after C-section.  In my experience insurance companies will consider a tummy tuck not "medically necessary" and will not cover the costs of the procedure for a previous wound separation.  They may cover the cost of a scar revision if the C-section scar ended up tethered or painful.  Talk to your insurance carrier and see what procedures they do cover and the criteria they use for approval. 

Insurance will probably not cover and abdominoplasty to cover the consequences of a wound disruption after a C-section.

I suppose it never hurts to ask but I would find it highly likely that an insurance company will cover a full abdominoplasty for a wound disruption after a C-section.