Will I Still Be Able to Do Yoga and All the Movements After my BA?

I am quite advanced with my yoga practise, and I love it. I do hot yoga and Ashtanga, I am certified to teach also. Arm balances, inversions - will this change after my BA (post recovery period of 6 weeks or so).

Return to Yoga

I typically say things heal in 6 weeks.  With implants you want to make sure that the pocket starts to "solidify" before you overdo things as the implant can shift.  This is particularly so if the implants are going to be placed in a submuscular pocket.  Yoga requires a lot of pectoralis major contraction, compression and stretching.  I would wait a minimum 6 but perhaps 8 weeks before getting into this form of exercise.   A subglandular pocket may afford a faster return.  See what your surgeon has in mind.

Yoga after BA

Excessive stretching or bouncing acitivites after breast augmentation may cause bleeding from the Pectoralis muscle for up to 6 weeks. So these activites have to be restricted.

Dennis Hurwitz, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Activities after a breast augmentation

You should be able to get back to all of these activities after 4 - 6 weeks.  Prior to this you may be sore but as long as you avoid bouncing up and down you should be fine. 

Breast Augmentation and Yoga

Thank you for your question.  I generally advise no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.   You should be able to resume yoga as tolerated after you have healed with no deficits or restrictions.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon as he/she is the best person to answer your question.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

After 6 weeks of convalescence you should be able to return to full activity. It is important to discuss all post surgical activities with your plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your question, It may take a little more than 6 weeks for you to adjust your balance for most advanced yoga positions, since you are going to have a little extra weight because of the implant, either than that, try taking your recovery one step at  the time, this way you will adjust to your new balance point as well as not forcing your pectoral muscles during recovery.

Salvador Pantoja, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Yoga Poses

You certainly should be able to get back to your yoga practices it will just take time.  Usually 6 weeks before full return.  It will also depend on whether you are having subglandular or subpectoral implants.  Speak with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Gary A. Tuma, MD, FACS
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you should be able to return to all types of exercise (even strenous) after breast augmentation; it may be longer than 6 weeks before you are able or should return to specific activities (especially those involving the pectoralis major muscle). Your plastic surgeon will guide you during your post op course.

Although I can't say that I know these poses, I can say that you should be back close to full recovery by 6 weeks, and should be getting close to the function you had before surgery. All the best. 

Return to Yoga

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Typically, light exercise is started after 2 to 3 weeks. With more strenuous activity phased in as you heal. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS