Would I still have a lot of stretch marks on my stomach after I got a full Tummy Tuck? (photos)

Hi, In your honest opinion would I still have a lot of stretch marks on my stomach after I get a full tummy tuck? As you can see I'm covered in a a lot of huge stretchmarks all over my stomach (From above my belly button to my pubic region).

Would I still have a lot of stretch marks on my stomach after I got a full Tummy Tuck?

The lower stretch marks will be removed with a tummy tuck and the upper ones brought to a lower position where they will be less obvious. While there are many nonsurgical procedures that are claimed to get rid of stretch marks, most ethical knowledgeable plastic surgeons will tell you that they have limited if any benefit, are unreliable, and not a satisfactory option in your particular situation.

If you are planning to have additional children, it is best to delay having a tummy tuck until you are finished with your pregnancies.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla,California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

YES! At least 40%+++ will remain as seen in for posted photos. Best to seek IN PERSON examinations. 

Tummy Tuck and Stretch Marks

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) removes skin from the lower abdomen - at least from the underwear one up to the belly button. All stretch marks in that area will be removed. Anything above the belly button will likely not be removed, but at least they will be pulled downward. 

Cory Goldberg, MD

Stretch marks and an abdominoplasty

An abdominoplasty will remove most of the central stretch marks that are below the level of your umbilicus.  The stretch marks above the umbilicus will be tightened and appear less noticeable and will be around or below your umbilicus.  Some of the stretch marks of the hips will also be removed.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to give you an idea of what to expect after surgery.  

Stretch mark removal with Tummy Tuck

You seem to be a great candidate for a lateral tension Abdominoplasty tummy tuck. In this procedure, I would likely remove all the stretch marks below your belly button and possibly higher. The remaining stretched stretch marks appear less unsightly. Need an in person examination. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Stretch marks and tummy tuck

Thanks for your question and pictures.  A full tummy tuck will remove the majority of the stretch marks on your abdomen.  Any stretch marks above the belly button will not be removed.  Stretch marks to your love handles and back will not be removed with a tummy tuck.  The stretch marks that are remaining will be moved to a lower position on your abdomen.  It appears that you will likely get a good result with the procedure.

Naveen Setty, MD

You will lose most of your stretch marks. It will be hard to get rid of the stretch marks above the belly button.
But since the skin above your belly button gets pulled down towards your pubic area, the stretch marks will be less noticable.
All the best

A tummy tuck would vastly improve your abdomen, but it may not remove all of your stretchmarks.

All of the stretch marks up to the belly button will be gone and the remainder will be low near your waist

Dear 2619anon,

A full or extended tummy tuck will allow all of the stretch marks up to and a little above the belly button to be removed.  The remaining stretch marks will be brought low and be located near the pubic bone.  I think you can have a great tummy tuck result.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Stretch Marks and Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. The stretch marks from just below the belly button to the pubic region and some on the side to the hip bone will be removed during a standard tummy tuck.  The stretch marks above the belly button will be moved to just above the pubic region and will still be there. Any stretch marks at or back from the hip bone will still be there.  Hope this helps!