I have implants - (10 years ago) - one of my breasts is very swollen - not sure if it's because of the implant

My right breast is swollen - appox a cup size larger than the right - it is very firm, no pain, no rash etc. The doctor I know is busy for 2 weeks - can it wait or should I see if I can see someone else sooner.

Swollen Breast at 10 years

This is a good question but  the problem does not seem to be emergent.   If you are in fact feeling very well, have no feverishness, and are experiencing no pain, you can wait the 2 weeks, but check in by phone sooner if compelled to do so if anything suddenly changes.  The source of the swelling can be fluid or blood, from tearing of the capsule, or a late infection, or rarely something else, but stay on top of communications with the office. Your primary surgeon can also advise of an ultrasound or scan if he thinks the issue is fluid or just scar tissue.  Sometimes patients can get swelling on top of old scar contracture that makes the issue come front and center, yet the treatment may only be scar removal and revision.  The surgeon's postoperative photos will provide clues as to what is going on when you see him or her.    Think about any changes in medication, addition of blood thinners, recent trauma, or heavy activity as you plan for your consultation.   Check with your insurance coverage  now, as I am sure those studies may be requested including ultrasound, mammography, and/or MRI etc.  Do you preparatory homework as best you can. Best wishes.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Swollen breast implants 10 years later

It is quite unusual to get swelling after 10 years post surgery. However it does occur. This swelling is caused by fluid and or blood in the pocket around the implant. This will need to be removed through a surgical approach.  You should contact your surgeon as soon as possible to make an appointment to be seen. If your surgeon is not available anymore, you should see a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast surgery 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast swelling

Thanks for your inquiry and at least speak to your surgeon.  If he/she feels like you need to be sooner they he/she can arrange it.