Steroid Injection for Hypertrophic Scar?

I am 24 yr old brown skin Indian girl having a hypertrophic scar on my jawline under my sideburn about 5 mm diameter red and looks like a boil for about 1and half years due to chickenpox premature scab falling.

I'm interested in knowing suitable treatment for flattening it and reducing the redness. I haven't tried anything. I want to know if steriod injections are suitable or excision or laser?

Doctor Answers 1

Hypertrophic scar management

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hypertrophic scarring is best managed by a board-certified dermatologist. Most people with hypertrophic scarring should have satisfactory cosmetic outcome with combination of intralesional steroid with Aldara cream application (off-labelled indication). Strict daily sun protection is important to minimize post-inflammatory redness and/or pigmentation.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.