Age 26, male: thin hair on top of head falling flat/falling out slowly. (photos)

What's going on? As of the last month or two I noticed my hair had started to thin and fall flat on a 2.5 diameter area on the top of my head. I have yet to see a significant amount of hair loss, so I think, but it still has me concerned that even after showers and hair cuts, my hair remains in this flatten state. It feels like I'm always wearing a hat or some pressure is always on my head. I should also note I have been under stress from class and work, I forget to eat, and could use more water.

Need Evaluation

Hi JamesMI, thank you for your question. You really require a physical evaluation in order to properly diagnose what's going on with your hair. This very well may be a temporary state, but it could also be progressive. Regardless, there are treatments available for various causes for hair loss so don't lose hope. If you are in fact starting to experience signs of genetic hair loss (androgenetic alopecia, or AGA) you could be a very good candidate for non-invasive treatments such as PRP therapy. Starting to treat AGA early with this therapy shows excellent results!  Good luck!

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need Evaluation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Get a hold of your existing hair with non-surgical treatments

Hello, James

At our clinic we will get you to start using something non-surgical… when hair starts to loose its body it is being miniaturized and this can be stopped with one or a combination of treatments.  The most common that we recommend are Rogaine, laser therapy, Propecia, or PRP. Any of these treatments or (even better) a combination of a couple will allow you to hold on to your existing hair and possibly regain some of the miniaturized hair.

Best of lucks and feel free to ask any more questions.

Hello, James

Hair loss?

You need a diagnosis and that diagnosis should be made by a skilled doctor in the field. The use of a HAIRCHECK instrument will tell you if you have genetic balding, see below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss?

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Inflammatory scalp diseases

Please see a physician who specializes in hair loss to better assess the cause of thinning and better evaluate which inflammatory scalp disease is present as presented in this photo series.

Inflammatory scalp diseases

Thinning and shedding hair

The flattened hair you mention could be a result of the hair thinning. While this could be due to age or genetic factors, stress and lack of proper nutrition do play a role in the health of our hair. Unfortunately, restoring and maintaining your hair’s health isn’t as simple as prescribing a healthy balanced diet. Once a hair follicle dies, there is no bringing it back. So what I recommend is that you start immediately proactively maintaining your hair to prevent any future permanent hair loss. You have many options including minoxidil, finasteride, nizoral, PRP therapy, and laser therapy before discussing hair transplant surgery. I suggest you meet with a qualified and experienced hair transplant surgeon to determine which methods you are a candidate for.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thinning and shedding hair

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Understanding Hair loss and hair loss treatment options: hair transplant, prp and progesterone

This requires an in-person evaluation. I suggest seeing a hair loss expert now to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like prp/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer