Steri Strip Removal After Tissue Expander Surgery?

Two weeks ago I had tissue expander surgery 2 years after a bilateral mastectomy. I had 3 layers of steri strips and removed 2 layers after 8 days. How long should I leave the remaining steri strips? Should I avoid getting them wet so they will stay on longer?

SteriStrips on incisions

This should be an adequate time for them to remain on your incision.  These are used to give al little reinforcement to your incisions as well as keep the wound covered as it heals.  I typically to try keep them on for this amount of time (~2-3 weeks) - sometimes they simply fall of prior to this time.  It comes to a point when they are left on too long, that it can potentially trap bacteria within the area between your incision/steristrips, so removal of them would be warranted.  It varies amongst surgeons the length of time to keep these intact, if used, so I would consult with your surgeon.  However, it should be an adequate time for your procedure.  It should also be ok to shower and get them wet, but I usually recommend avoiding tub baths/pools/jacuzzis for several weeks.  Hope that this helps!  Thank you for the question!

SteriStrips on incisions

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Steri strips on breasts

Usually by two or so weeks the tape can be removed. Touch base with your surgeon to see what he desires.

Steri strips on breasts

Steristrips can come off

I would check with your surgeon, but after 2 weeks they should be able to be removed. Best of luck with everything!

Steristrips can come off