Does getting laser tattoo removal hurt during the treatment and afterwards?

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatmetns

I find that patients have very little pain if the area is injected before treatment and ice is used after.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tattoo Removal Discomfort

There are multiple methods available to maintain comfort during tattoo removal treatments. Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths making it possible to remove 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 treatments. I also utilize the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. It is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. I have been practicing laser tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tattoo removal discomfort

At the Laser Center of Maryland we have multiple options to keep you pain free during laser tattoo removal. We can use numbing cream or injections, and we are the first center in Maryland to offer Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for patients who hate needles! We also offer free consultations.

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Does getting laser tattoo removal hurt during and after treatment?

Hello, thank you for your question.  The answer to your question will be determined by how the facility doing the laser prepares the patient and what is used to control discomfort.  Here at our offices we numb the patient with lidocaine injections prior to the treatment. Some offices use a topical numbing and still others use a Zimmer (cooling device). With the lidocaine injections, you will definitely have some discomfort from the injections. Once the area is numbed, the treatment itself is pretty comfortable. The lidocaine will usually last several hours, but once the area is no longer numb, you will feel some discomfort in the treatment area.  It will be like taking care of a wound. Post care instructions are as follows; POSTOPERATIVE TREATMENT CARE Immediately after treatment, there should be a “slight frosting” on the area that is treated. Erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) at the treatment site can occur and may last up to 2 hours or longer. Pinpoint bleeding may also occur. An ointment (Aquaphor, bacitracin, or even Vaseline) should be applied to the treated area and covered with a non-stick bandage. After treatment, the skin will scab over. It is very important not to pick, scratch or aggressively wash the area to prevent possible scarring. This crust should flake off in 7-10 days. Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of hyper-pigmentation (darker pigmentation) Use sun block (SPF 30+) at all times throughout the course of your treatments. There are no restrictions on bathing except to treat the area gently, as with any other wound.Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon