I was very impressed by a Tummy tuck scar I came across. What the attached photo would be called incision wise? (photo)

I see the scar is nicely placed between the leg and hip. I was wondering if it is common to place a incision in the groin crease area. I would love to have this procedure done.

Options for scar placement with tummy tuck

The reason the scar in the picture looks attractive is that it follows what are called natural skin tension lines. This was a very common way to do it about 15-20 years ago, but with low rise designs in swimsuits and pants, women wanted the scar more horizontal so that it could be more easily covered. Bring a copy of the picture to your consultations.

Location of scar for a tummy tuck

There are many factors that experienced, board certified plastic surgeons consider in planning the placement of the scar. It can be influenced by how much loose skin the patient has and the length of the distance from the umbilicus to the crease just above the pubic region.  It may also be influenced by how thin the patient is or whether they have had other surgical incisions on the abdomen. Bring a copy of this picture to help in your discussion with your plastic surgeon. You will also consider where this scar will be with current and future choices of bathing suits.Good luck.

John M. Weeter, MD

Tummy Tuck Scars

There are many things that go into the placement of the abdominoplasty incision. The main determinant, of course, is the specifics to the tissues. If the tissues allow it, however, the incision can be placed in multiple positions. An incision placed low can be hidden well under a bikini. If, however, you prefer higher riding underwear and bathing suits, the scar can be placed much higher. The important thing, however, is how the incision is closed. If done correctly with buried  semipermanent sutures, the scar should almost disappear.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

I was very impressed by a Tummy tuck scar I came across.

Thank you for your question.There are several ways of positioning a scar for a tummy tuck procedure depending upon the body shape, desired clothing choices in the future and the patient's goals.   This should be discussed at the time of the consultation so that the surgeon can go over all of the risks and benefits of the different incisions.   I recommend bringing a photo of this result with you so that the surgeon has an idea of what type of an incision appeals to you.

TTuck scar placement

There are a number of consideration in scar placement. One issue with this one is that while the scar looks well hidden in a static upright photo, the natural "movement/folding" of the skin has been altered so it can look odd in real life (not the scar, the way the skin "sits/moves"). Having said that, if this is what the patient prefers they MUST have enough/stretchy enough upper abdominal skin to be able to move it all the way down to there. That could only be determined by an in-person examination.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Tummy tuck incision

Thank you for your question and photograph.When performing a traditional tummy tuck, It is more common to have a low, horizontal incision placed in the bikini area so it is hidden when wearing underwear or a bikini. If this is the style of incision you like, I would recommend doing some research and finding a surgeon who performs his tummy tucks this way or bring this photograph to your consultations and see if your surgeon is willing to meet your needs. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon