Concerned clitoris was damaged/exposed during clitoral hood reduction. Is there anything that can be done to repair? (Photo)

I recently had labiaplasty and a clitoral hood reduction. I think my clitoris is now split, and it is exposed with no tissue covering it. Although I am still a little swollen, I'm not sure that even when the swelling goes completely away there's any chance the clitoris will be covered. Is there anything that can be done to repair?

Concerns after clitoral hood reduction

Swelling is common after surgery especially when stitches have not yet dissolved. Your photos demonstrate no evidence of any damage to your clitoris and it is not uncovered. When the swelling subsides and the stitches dissolve, you should have a more normal appearance. I would recommend that you not manipulate the area until it has completely healed as you may disrupt an otherwise normal healing process.

Possible clitoris damage

I reviewed your photos.  It does not appear that your clitoris is damaged or split. The bulges you see on each side are the ends of swollen frenula, which are the folds that lead from your clitoris. Those will decrease in size with time. If they continue to bulge after about five months, they can be repaired. It is common to see this after trimming labiaplasties.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Unlikely for the clitoris to have been split

had your surgeon split your clitoris, i would imagine it would be extremely painful.  I cannot imagine why this would be done.  WIthout seeing your before pictures it is difficult to comment.  Talking with your original surgeon is the best thing to do.  If you don't get answers you think answer your questions properly, a second opinion in person (not online) is the way to go.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Early after labiaplasty

It is entirely too early to evaluate the results.  You are still very swollen and there are still stitches in place.  It is difficult to tell from the two photos that you posted, but it looks like the clitoral hood is still intact.   Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon as they can examine you and know for sure if your clitoral hood is still intact. Hope this helps and best wishes.

Concerned about clitoris

It is hard to say for sure what is going on without seeing your pre-op photos and doing an examination. It is best for you to let things settle down and heal before undergoing any sort of revision. You should see your PS and ask them what their recommendations are at this point.

Concerned about clitoris damage.

You are still very swollen from your surgery.  The final outcome can not be determined until after the wounds have healed and the swelling has subsided.  This typically takes several months.    You will have a much better idea about coverage of the clitoris at that point.  It is very unlikely that the actual clitoris was cut or split, assuming that your surgeon used standard techniques for the procedure.  The bulbous areas that appear to be a "split" clitoris are likely due to a division of the frenulum.  The clitoral hood appears to be intact.  It is difficult to accurately assess based on a picture.  The sutures are placed differently than I would expect to see for a standard wedge labiaplasty so he/she might have used a different technique.  You need to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Is Clitoris Damages after Clitoral Hood Reduction?

From your photos, it appears that the area is quite swollen, so the anatomy is distorted. There are two pillars called the frenula (singular frenulum) that extend up from the labia minora toward the clitoris. They are swollen, which is probably what looks like the clitoris is split. The clitoris itself is tucked under the hood. Unless you're having extreme pain, it's unlikely the clitoris was damaged.

Follow up with your surgeon, since an in-person exam is the only way you can be evaluated completely and accurately.

Click on the link below to see a labiaplasty result after complete healing.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon