Considering sculptra or voluma. Which is best?

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

I often combine both fillers to ensure short and long term results. Sculptra can be used to contour and lift structures and voluma can be used to lift and create shape.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer. 

Sculptra vs. Voluma

Sculptra and Voluma are both wonderful options to increase volume in your face. To choose one over the other you need to ask yourself a few questions.

1. Do I want immediate results?
2. Am I a patient person that can visit my doctor three times for a final result?
3. Do I want the results to last a year or two or more years?
4. How specific are the areas that I need filled?

If you want immediate results, Voluma may be the best option for you. Voluma will give you immediate results that will last about a year and it's a wonderful volumizing agent. If you have very specific areas where you want to build volume (such as a little lateral cheek raise), Voluma is best because it builds up exactly where you place it.

Sculptra requires a month for your body to build its own collagen and usually requires more than one treatment. Some people prefer a gradual increase in volume. Once Sculptra has helped your body build collagen, it can last up two years or more (I've had some patients where it lasted up to four years). Sculptra is great for larger areas (such as full face volumization, cheeks, buttocks and decollete) where you might require volume but it is not appropriate for a very specific small area.

Cheryl Karcher, MD

Sculptra vs Voluma....

Thank you for your question.  Sculptra and Voluma are both fillers - however they work in different manners so what is best is really dependent upon what you are trying to accomplish and may be different for different people and that is why it is important you seek a consolation with a board certified dermatologist/ps for a proper evaluation.  Sculptra is a collagen stimulator, takes time to see the results and takes multiple treatments.  Voluma is filler in the truest sense of the word in that it immediately fills volume loss.  Sculptra may last longer than Voluma.  Both products can be layered with one another to attain results one cannot get alone with just either product.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra & Voluma

Thanks for your question. Sculptra Aesthetic diminishes facial gauntness and creasing by stimulating an increase in the skin’s collagen, a key skin ingredient which gives the face volume and strength. Juvederm Voluma XC is an injectable gel used to instantly restore lost volume in the cheek area to correct age-related volume loss in adults over the age of 21. Results can last up to two years.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Sculptra vs Voluma

If you want a long lasting filler that uses you own collagen (PLLA is a collagen stimulator) to replace volume, then you should use Sculptra. It will give about 2-3 years, with touch up needed yearly. Voluma is a HA filler that lasts somewhere between 1-2 years. It gives immediate results whereas Sculptra requires a series of 3 treatments and final results take over 6 months to appreciate. I use Voluma to "spot treat" the cheek area. Sculptra is more used as a global volumizer of the entire face - temples, cheeks, NLF, marionette lines, jawline, periorbital area.  See link please

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra versus voluma

Both sculptra and voluma are excellent choices.  Voluma is completely reversible if you do not like its appearance.  Sculptra however will make to produce you on collagen that can last 2-3 years.  It does have the risk of making some lumps or nodules at time.  Sculptra will give a slow gradual enhancement of the overall facial appearance and Voluma will give you an immediate result.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra versus Voluma

I love both Sculptra and Voluma but they work differently. Voluma will add volume immediately and is best in the mid face. Voluma can be used elsewhere including the temples and lower face and will last longer after 3 sessions. Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Sculptra vs. Voluma

Both are excellent fillers to restore volume but they are quite different products.  Sculptra is a more dilute filler and is great for restoring volume in larger areas.  Because it is dilute, it can be spread around more easily than other fillers.  It does require multiple treatment sessions, but results can last longer than 2 years.  Voluma is an HA filler which provides immediate results and is great for augmentation in defined areas such as the upper cheeks.  Voluma results generally last about 1-2 years.  You should find an experienced injector and have a discussion as to which filler would be best for you.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma or Sculptra

The answer is that they both work very well, but in quite different ways.  Sculptra is an incremental bio-stimulator of collagen production that lasts two and  sometimes three years.  Voluma is a thicker formulation of hyaluronic acid that adds volume right away and can last up to two years.  I think the important issue with volume depletion is receiving the right amount of product to correct the problem.  For example, when Sculptra is indicated in someone that is 60 plus, I routinely use 6 vials or more to achieve correction.  In my opinion, many "treatment failures" with both products are likely due to inadequate volume correction. Lastly, in my experience, Sculptra lasts longer, which factors into some individuals' treatment decisions.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra vs Voluma

These two fillers, although both used to replace facial volume, are different. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler that is passive. After injection you achieve immediate results that last 1-2 years (usually need touch-ups). During that time the body slowly metabolizes the HA and it dissipates. Once it's worn off, the same amount or more needs to be injected again to achieve the same results. 
Sculptra is an active filler that stimulates your own collagen production. It works gradually, over time, with injections separated into a few sessions. How much you need depend on volume loss/age. It may take 6 months to achieve the results, after which it lasts 2 years or so. Maintenance usually requires fewer sessions/less product than the original treatment. 

Flora Levin, MD FACS
Westport Oculoplastic Surgeon