Neck surgery. 1 week 4 days later, is this an infection? (Photo)

I had neck surgery a week and a half ago. This I had my muscles in the neck repaired as well as a,neck lift. Does this look like an infection because it's not getting better my doctor says it's not an infection.

Get an evaluation

Your skin appears to be breaking down, which may have a variety of reasons depending upon your medical condition. It's best to get evaluation and follow up with your original surgeon. Don't delay.

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection versus hematoma

A hematoma, or blood clot under the skin would look more purple. This looks like an infection, with skin necrosis because of the pink/ red color.  I think a visit to your physician is warranted. At the very least, try placing antibiotic ointment over the red and yellow areas. Good luck! 

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible Infection

Thank you for your question. Looking at the picture, it may be possible that this could be an infection. This does not look like it's healing well. Don't wait too long, get another doctor to take a look. It's best to get another opinion. Best of luck! 

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Barrington
Oakbrook
Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Get a second opinion!

Based on the photo and the coloring, this does not look like it is healing properly and may be an infection. I would recommend seeking another opinion since your doctor does not believe this to be an infection.

Jennifer Levine, MD

See your Surgeon

It is best to see your surgeon as soon as possible.  Based on your photo, this is not normal healing.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Needs to be checked asap.

Your doctor better take a look today. If he/she cannot see you maybe you need the covering doctor or an emergency department. That does not look good. It may very well be an infection. The operating surgeon would be the best person but it should be seen today.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon