Botox gone wrong? Is this permanent? (Photos)

I've consistently been getting botox every 3-4 months on my glabella for 6 years. A few days ago I had it done by a new Dr. I immediately felt tender & asked if I had bruising which he assured me, hadn't happened. At home I noticed swelling between my brows and over the next 24 hours, the size of my nose tripled and the shape of my eyes has changed. Has anyone experienced this? Is this just swelling which will last a few days or will this last for the next few months? Or is this permanent?

Botox

Fortunately, this is not permanent.  Botox wears off.  This is very unfortunate and unexpected side effects or adverse reactions can occur when injecting Botox.  It is always wise to follow up with the provider who treated you.  Hang in there.

Botox

Thank you for your question, I concur with the previous answers. The effects of botox will wear off within 4-5 months. I would however make a return visit to see the person who injected you. Hope this helps.

Alan B. Brackup, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Nothing with botox is permanent.

However, the 4 to 6 months it will take to have this service wear off will seem like it is forever.  Hang in there, it will wear off.  Consider looking for a Microdroplet Lift treatment in the future which is a balanced treatment that looks very natural.

Are these Botox changes permanent?

Hello laylay2525,

Thank you for your question and photos. Rest assured none of the changes associated with Botox (good or bad) are permanent and will subside typically in 3-4 months. Based on your description of the injection and the photo this indeed appears to be swelling and most likely a hematoma secondary to the injections in that area. This will subside. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Botox side effect

nothing from Botox is permanent so it will even out but why did you go to a different doctor after good results?  Go back to your original doctor but if you cannot be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Swelling in nasal area after Botox

There was a vessel hit in this injection and I'm sorry this happened to you. The swelling is not permanent and will subside in the next week or 2. This represents a bruise or hematoma from the injection.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

You have a hematoma

You probably have a hematoma. The injector likely hit a blood vessel and there is bruising and swelling. It should resolve but will take some time.

Botox issue...

Looks like a small vein was sheared, which caused some bruising and swelling. Rest assured, this should gradually resolve in the coming weeks. Ice, elevation, arnica, bromelein, and time will help.  Be sure your new doctor is a board certified core physician (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist). 

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruise?

I have had some patients develop minor bruising at the site of injection but not as extreme as yours. Some patients are more prone if they took a blood thinner like aspirin or an NSAID in the past few days.

Botox

It appears that you have swelling from hitting a deep vein in that area and it is unfortunate.  The effects may last a few weeks or a month but should resolve on its own.  Best, Dr. Green