How much is an average weight loss recommendation before tummy tuck?

how much is an average weight loss recommendation before tummy tuck, provided that i'm within 20 lbs of my goal weight and stuck with weight loss for about a year now?

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question. Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

I would recommend you follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results.  Any weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results.  

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children, get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight (not a rigid criteria), and have a BMI less than 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. An in-person consultation may provide the best advice.  If you are within 20lbs of your goal, you may be a candidate for surgery now, depending on your individual anatomy. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Average Weight Loss

There is no magic number as far as weight goes in order to undergo elective surgery. Most surgeons recommend that you have a BMI maximum of 30 in order to proceed and for your weight to have been stable for 6 months to a year.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Goal weight

Hello.  Your goal weight is usually weight loss to a BMI of less than 30. Accordingly you may calculate the specific number of lbs that you'd need to lose for the a safe surgery procedure. 

Good luck
DrBurnett#realself100

TT

Before a tummy tuck your BMI ( look it up on line) should be below 30 - preferably closer to 25. If it is over 30 you have a ways to go. It all depends on your height and weight.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck

If you have plateaued, you may benefit from removing stubborn belly fat with a tummy tuck or liposuction.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Weight Loss Before Tummytuck

To achieve the best possible result after Tummytuck , try to lose as much weight as possible, and then maintain it before and after surgery. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about diet and exercise before plastic surgery. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy tuck and weight loss

Thank you for your question. It depends in a few factors including BMI and your fat content in the abdomen. My patients lose an average of 15% of their body weight after a lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck. You may not need to loose weight before surgery. A consultation is needed for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS