Am I Starting to Develop Symmastia 2 After Scar Revision Surgery?

I am 2 weeks p/o from revision surgery to lower my left breast and upsize to 500cc mod plus silicone unders. My cleavage is much closer now and the skin in my cleavage area has raised up about 5mm. My PS said it is just swelling but I am so worried I am starting to develop symmastia! I have ordered a thong bra and am massaging my breasts in an outward manner to try and separate them. Could this massage be doing more damage to the muscle or help to settle the breasts more laterally? PLEASE HELP!

Symmastia Concern 2 Weeks Post Op

Symmastia is a condition which can occur when the implants are too close together. Patients often refer to this as a “uniboob.” Occasionally, the space or pocket for the breast implant is created towards the center, or the tissue stretches, forcing  the implants to fall too much towards the center of the breasts. Currently, you do not appear to have #symmastia. Also, it is still quite early into your post-op healing stage. Therefore, what you may be experience is swelling which can be mistaken as symmastia.  If you are not satisfied with your #final #results or if there are any concerns, it's best to consult with your plastic surgeon to further discuss your #options.

Symmastia or Implant Malposition?

At this point, you do not have symmastia.  The implants are close and you may have some skin tenting (5mm raised skin).  Keep doing the measures you are currently using and allow at least 3 months before you decide whether or not you like the results.  

Symmastia

Based on your photos, although the cleavage is narrow, it does not look like symmastia.  It sounds like you are already doing all the correct things to do to avoid additional issues.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Symmastia?

It doesn't look like you have true symmastia at this time.  With a 500 cc implant, it has to go somewhere.  I have found that the complications regarding position tend to be more common with large implants, unless there is a lot of excess skin.  You already are doing the things you should do to avoid the symmastia.  Ultiimately, I would listen to the advice of the plastic surgeon who operated on you. I advise my patients with unders to not do any push-ups, bench presses, or flies for 3 months. I think you will be fine.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Very early in the post operative period, but I see from your so kindly posted photos your concern. I would wait til you are 2 months out from surgery and no do any arm exercising.