Facial Feminization surgery, how do I correct my "long" face and my protruding jaw? (photos)

I want facial feminization surgery. I want everything did that's possible to make me look more beautiful and feminine. Specifically I want to correct my long face and protruding jaw. I want more of a barbie or a doll type face without being overly animated. I want a "V-line" jaw with a "U" shaped chin, but I don't know if that's possible. I've considered two-jaw surgery, but I don't want to go to Korea to get it did.

Facial feminization

The most prominent feature of your face is indeed your jaw. Your chin is long and the back of your jaw is wide which are more masculine features. To correct this, incisions are made inside the mouth to sculpt the bone into the correct shape. Based on the photographs you provided, I would also reduce the brow bone and lift up the brows. This procedure would also bring your hairline forward, but there is a possibility of needing hair grafts or a hair piece to cover the scars. Lastly, I would place cheek implants and narrow the tip of your nose.

Of course you would need to be evaluated by an experienced facial feminization surgeon. There are only a few surgeons in the country that do this procedure often, but many who are dabbling. Ensure that whoever you go to is well-versed in all options related to facial feminization surgery.

Sarah Saxon, MD

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial feminization?

we need to see better photographs as described on my website as well as others. You should see a very experienced transgender surgeon for this procedure. I have done transgender facial feminization for more than 35 years and  you can see examples of patients like you on my website as well as others. The most important thing is not doing one isolated procedure but approaching transgender facial feminization as a balancing of all components of your face.  Making some parts of the face too small creates an unnatural look which is quite obvious.  The photograph you show is an unrealistic expectation given the size of your skull, mandible, etc. You can however look far more feminine. 

Masculine jaw line

Compared to the ideal photos your chin is wide at the bottom and tall when measured from the lower lip to the bottom of the chin.  This creates a masculine chin and contributes to the appearance of a long face.  Shaping of the jaw bone can indeed help you to achieve a shorter, thinner, and more feminine chin.  Your jaw bone (or mandible) also flares out as it heads toward your ears, and this is what is reduced in classic V-line surgery.  This would also help to make your face more feminine, but it is really  your chin that and the front of your jaw that is the most masculine part.  Many surgeons preforming V-line surgery today will also address the chin area, but you should confirm that with the surgeon you choose.  You don't have to go to Korea to have surgery, there are several of us in the US who are very experienced in this procedure.  

Bryan Rolfes, MD

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist