Vibration and noises in breast after implant. Will this hurt me if it doesn't go away?

I am 3 months post op from pocket revision of both breasts. My implants were not replaced, just revised pockets. Anyways, I have had noise and kind of vibrating rubbing noise in one breast every time it is moved. I've read here that it should be gone by now. Will this hurt me if it doesn't go away? My Dr had never heard of it, and had no answers for me

Noise and vibration three months after breast implant exchange

Most of the time, noises around a breast implant that has had recent surgery are due to air in the pocket, generally around the implant, although with a saline implant, the air can also be within the implant itself.

Often, these noises are not heard or noticed early after surgery, because the pocket may be tighter and restrict the implant motion more than after a couple of months.  But, once the pocket loosens, and the implant can move more easily, the sounds are sometimes heard.

I doubt that this will hurt you (although I suppose it is possible that something other than air is rubbing against the implant, and could ultimately damage the implant), but I also doubt that it won't go away.

While you certainly could do an ultrasound, which would reveal any air, you should ask your surgeon if you should do that now, or if you should wait to see if it goes away on its own after another couple of months.

All the best!

Vibration Noise in Breasts

In order to have sound that's audible there has to be in the air fluid interface. You are correct in that most of the air and fluid should have been reabsorbed by now. If you are my patient we would look at your breast with an in office ultrasound to discern if there still is a small amount of fluid around the implant. By taking out that extra fluid, this sound may go away. If the breast is not decidedly bigger on that side, I can imagine that there's much fluid in their. Ask your physician about ultrasound exam about an ultrasound exam to try to elucidate what the problem might be. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast implant - noises 3 months after pocket revision

Thank you for asking about your breast implant revision.
  • I am sorry you have this problem -
  • Perhaps on the 'noisy' side, internal sutures or suture knots are rubbing on the pocket or on the implant.
  • It is unusual though - if you were my patient, I would order an ultra-sound test to see if all is well.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS