Cannot not stand to wear my glasses 14 months after facelift. Will this ever go away on its own?

14 months after my facelift my ps sent me to a nerve specialist. After getting a lecture from him about having a facelift he prescribed Lyrica for the burnng and pulling sensation from my lower lip through my jawline. It is painful to even wear my eyeglasses. Any suggestions? I have been on Lyrica for a month, and it does not appear to be helping. The only relief I have is to chew gum. Then all the pain goes away. I am at my wits end.

Nerve Pain Following Facelift

I am sorry to hear that you are having such difficulty after your facelift. I am equally sorry to hear that your nerve specialist was so judgmental given the role of the physician is to promote, maintain and restore human health while showing compassion and benevolence toward their patients.

The description of your pain is unusual in that it is diffuse in nature ( 'all over') and cannot be attributed to a particular nerve or anatomic location. In the absence of a clear anatomic explanation such as excessive scar tissue, I would recommend that you continue with medical therapy. If you don't get relief from your current regimen you may find relief with a dosage change or a different medication altogether. There are many types of medications that help nerve pain including antidepressants such as duloxetine and amitriptyline. Depression can sometimes result in real somatic symptoms such as pain. Best of luck.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Get a second opinion

14 months is more than enough time to recover from a facelift. Motor function should be completely normal insensibility should be effectively restore although there might be small areas of anesthesia around the ears.

Revision Facelift

I would consider a consultation with a plastic surgeon who has experience with revision surgery for facelifts and or facial nerve reconstruction.  I would obtain a copy of your operative report to determine the technique that was used during your facelift.  Sometimes sutures are placed that can irritate the nerve, these may be able to be removed.  Other times, elevation of facelift tissues can result in injuries to the nerve, that may need repair.  This is a complex issue that needs expert care.