Is a chin implant the best option for me? (Photo)

Do you think that a chin implant would be the best option for my situation? What kind of results should i expect? What do you think of fillers ? are the results comparable to chin implants? what are the downsides (apart from the fact that they are just temporary)?

And cheek implants

Yes, you would benefit from a chin implant, but I think cheek implants (or fillers) could also help a lot. Make sure you see someone with expertise in implants and facial balance.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is a chin implant the best option for me?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are very flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles.  This combines to create an elongated oval shaped face.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants (permanent enhancement) or using a dermal filler (temporary enhancement) to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face. 
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

Hope this helps.

Chin/Jawline

Fillers do not produce comparable augmentation results to that of implants. You did not state what your aesthetic objectives were. Chin augmentation only? More complete jawline augmentation?

You have choices

There are several ways of addressing these concerns. If your teeth don't meet, then the lower jaw can be moved forward until the teeth meet more properly. If the teeth meet properly, there are three ways, in general, to address a retruded chin. The lower anterior mandible can be cut and advanced (as a sliding advancement genioplasty procedure), it is screwed in place after that. A chin implant can be inserted and fillers can be used. The genioplasty is permanent but there are important nerves and muscles around the area. A chin implant is an easier procedure, but it can move, and over the years it usually causes a mild degree of mandibular resorption. Fillers are very accurate but they are temporary, but there's very little recovery time (if at all) and they're a lot more affordable than surgery, to begin with

Taimur Shoaib, MD
Glasgow Plastic Surgeon