Please help! My breast and TT scar have some openings. What should I do? (photos)

When I was going to shower this morning I saw that my breast and TT scar looked like this. I'm very very sad and I don't know what to do. Please help me, I'm 16 days post op.

My breast and TT scar have some openings

You need to contact your surgeon and notify him/her of your postop complications.  The wounds do not look too problematic but its best to have them examined and any necessary treatment performed sooner than later.

Mommy make-over - some areas are opening

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Please contact your plastic surgeon for advice and so your incisions can be checked.
  • Your surgical fee includes your post-operative care -an essential part of your recovery.
  • It is not uncommon for small areas of slow healing to appear after these operations -
  • Your surgeon's care will help you heal.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Wound healing problems

Thank you for sending your question and pictures. It appears you have some delayed wound healing in certain areas. It is best that you contact your plastic surgeon for them to assess the pictures and possibly have you come into the office for an exam.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Please help! My breast and TT scar have some openings. What should I do?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  I see your areas of concern and would first reach out to your surgeon to let them know of your wound healing difficulties.  These separations are at the areas that most commonly encounter problems after a tummy tuck and breast lift but you need to have care instructions given to you.  For now maintain the areas covered with an ointment such as Aquaphor and a clean gauze and then follow your surgeon's instructions.  These areas may worsen a bit before they get better but should not materially impact your long-term results.  Hope this helps.

Your incisions will heal well given time and local care.

Your photos show the all other areas of your incisions to be healing well.  There are only small areas which have minor wound separation.  This can happen and is self limiting.  At 2 weeks after surgery, you should be well healed in all other areas and these small areas should only require local care to keep them clean and protected until the body closes them by itself.  Regular follow up with your plastic surgeon will allow your progress to be followed until this is resolved.

Incision line healing problems after mommy makeover surgery…

I am sorry to hear about  your concerns after mommy makeover surgery.  These types of complications can be quite distressing to patients;  unfortunately, sometimes the wounds do look worse before they begin to look better.
Close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be in your best interests; sometimes removal of a exposed suture and/or removal of any unhealthy tissue will expedite healing.   Wound care regimens will differ from one plastic surgeon to another. Generally, this will involve application of some type of sterile dressing ( in my practice I use a non-stick dressing covered by a sterile dressing). You should have peace of mind that these types of wound healing problems generally go on to heal over the course of the next several weeks, often without long-term sequelae. Also important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including good protein source.  Sometimes (depending on the width of the open wound and the appearance of the scar in the longer term), scar revision surgery may be helpful down the line. Best wishes.

Open Scars

It may take several months for a patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen . It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle. These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard , Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.Looking at your photos, these options could be helpful on your own but it would likely be best to see your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated and make sure that healing is progressing properly. Best of luck!

Scars with openings

You should get in contact with your plastic surgeon for advice on how to take care of these areas. After surgery certain portions of the incisions can have a harder time healing after surgery than other areas.  Your areas of concern are typical areas where delayed healing can occur.  Based on the photos it does not appear that this will effect your long term results but you need to call your plastic surgeon's office for a care and follow up plan.  Sometimes there isn't anything more to do then keeping the areas clean and giving the body time to heal.

Mommy makeover recovery

I recommend contacting your surgeon for advice on how to treat the areas.  They are in common sites where separation is seen, but each surgeon is different in how they prefer to handle the situation and are the ones that are most knowledgeable about your current progress in recovery.

Camille Cash, MD