What should I do to avoid complications during and after surgery?

I'm really scared because I have kids, and lately I have been reading and hearing about people that died after a surgery and sometimes is just a simple surgery. I really wanted to know what should I do before, during and after surgery to avoid any complications. Thank you so much!

Have a good medical check

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Have a good pre op before the procedure.
A Caprini and sleep apnea scoring are excellent pre op.
Make sure you wear compression stockings during and after your surgery.
And move around early.
Blood clots are perhaps the biggest risk after tummy tuck
Make sure you don't have certain clotting disorders such as Factor V Lieden and others.
Being overweight, on the pill, or estrogen replacement can add some risk.

Avoiding Complications

Thank you very much for your question.

It is very common to have concerns regarding complications, and think about the impact on family, around the time of surgery.  The best way to avoid complications is to be in good health, get your procedure done by a reputable doctor at a reputable medical facility, and follow your doctor's instructions carefully.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Patient Safety

Plastic surgery is very safe.  It is imperative to consult with a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) that has experience in performing the procedure(s) that you are interested in. 

The five most important words are:  "American Board Of Plastic Surgery".

Also, the surgery must be performed in an accredited surgical facility and the surgeon must have privileges at a local hospital.  

Patient safety is top priority!

John A. Perrotti, MD

Listen to your surgeon, ask questions and give yourself ample time to recover.

Having concerns about your safety and health before, during and after surgery is normal and understandable. The most important thing to keep in mind is that your board-certified plastic surgeon will be with you every step of the way to ensure that your health and/or safety are never compromised.Even more, a reputable surgeon will not agree to perform surgery on a person who is not healthy enough for the procedure. That said, in order to avoid complications, it is imperative that you follow your surgeon’s pre- and post-operative instructions and allow yourself ample time to heal. Even though your life may be busy and hectic, it’s important that you allow yourself sufficient time to recover after your surgery, as doing so will significantly decrease your chances of experiencing post-operative complications.