Abdominoplasty at same time as hernia repair (Photo)

I have an inguinal hernia. Met with a general surgeon that recommends larscopic mesh repair. I have been planning a future abdominoplasty for when I hit my goal weight. I am currently 5'7" and 215. I have been stuck at this weight for a while. should I have the tummy tuck done now since I need surgery anyway, or is it best to do the hernia now and wait on the tummy tuck? Most of my weight and insecurity is about my stomache area so it is appealing to try to do it now. Appreciate thoughts!!

Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck

This is a tough question without any absolute right answer. I would recommend that you get the hernia repair first and then once you reach a maintainable goal weight, have the tummy tuck. The important word in that sentence is maintainable since gaining weight can adversely affect your tummy tuck results. Hope this helps. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Hernia and abdominoplasty

It is quite possible to have the abdominoplasty and hernia repair done at the same time. Best to ask your surgeons.

Hernia and abdominoplasty timing

I agree and disagree with my colleagues.

Do the hernia first...the laparoscopic procedure will leave new scars that can be removed with the abdominopalsty.

Do the abdominoplasty whenever you feel like you are at a plateau with your weight.  I cannot tell you how many patients do not ever get close to their "goal weigh".  The vast majority of my tummy tucks are better able to either maintain their weight after an abdominoplasty or lose even more weight with the motivation of tremendous immediate change in their bodies following the procedure.  It's like a 'jump start'.  Of course, we must all say that their are less risks associated with the surgery when you are at a lower BMI (Body Mass Index -fat to height ratio).

Best of luck in your decision

Dr t

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Hernia repair and abdominoplasty

If your general surgeon is recommending a laparoscopic repair, I think it's best to have the hernia repair first, recover, continue to try to get down to your goal weight, and then proceed with the abdominoplasty. Good luck!

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Hernia repair and abdominoplasty

I recommend that you have the inguinal hernia repair now to alleviate your symptoms and then defer the abdominoplasty until you have reached and maintained your goal weight. It is difficult when you are stuck at a plateau.  Postoperatively, you may find that you will have lost a bit of weight from the anesthesia and pain medication and that may jump start additional weight loss.  If you were to undergo an abdominoplasty now, then additional surgery would likely be required after the weight loss.  Best wishes.

Abdominoplasty at same time as hernia repair

Thank you for your question.  It is crucial for the best tummy tuck result that you be closer to your ideal weight.  Any fat beneath the abdominal skin will prevent maximal tightening of the skin during a tummy tuck.  In addition I would not attempt to do the hernia repair at the same procedure and recommended to have the hernia repaired first.

Hernia repair with tummy tuck

Thank you for the question and photos.  A laparoscopic hernia repair will not need surgical access as is found with a tummy tuck, to be performed since it is laparoscopic and they will be going in with a camera inside your abdomen.  I recommend getting the hernia done first and then having the tummy tuck later.  The other option is to perform a traditional hernia approach via a skin incision which would be used in the tummy tuck procedure.  The key will be to have both surgeons comfortable with the combination of procedures.

Best of luck with both surgeries.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD