I've had my Saline implants since 2008, should I have them checked out?

Do they change in shape with age

Saline Implants

Dear robin1404,
Thank you for your question. Unless you feel that your breasts have changed or that you may have a leak, it is not necessary to have them checked.

Saline implants

If you feel that your implants are different in terms of feel or look at this point, then it might be a good idea to see a surgeon in person.

Saline implants

I don't have my patients come back with saline implants after 2 years.  however if there is any change , I ask them to return. I am more vigilant with the gel implants. I discuss the FDA recommendation for MRI every three years

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Had my Saline implants since 2008.

Your saline implants will not change shape, and they can last many years longer. An advantage of the saline implant is that you can wear them without worry, no MRI needed, and replace only if a leak occurs. Your breast tissue might change over time but your implants should be fine.

Breast augmentation implant check

I recommend my patients come for a yearly examination. I check the implants for ballotement (movement), check the breast tissue and axillae for adenopathy. I also offer my patients alternatives if they are concerned with ptosis - saggy breasts, wrinkling or asymmetry. If they have silicone implants I recommend MRI at least once at 3 to five years down the road. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Should I have my implants checked if they were put in in 2008?

If you are having no problems or concerns about your breasts, then you do not need to have your breasts and implants re-examined.  However, having periodic examinations of your implants is re-assuring and will confirm that your breast implants are doing what they should do.  Breast implants do not usually change shape with age but the overlying breast tissue does.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question.

Your breasts are changing in some way your whole life, as does the rest of your body and face, but if you have no symptoms, and have not noticed any obvious changes, then the likelihood is that your implants are fine. That does NOT mean that you should not have an annual breast exam by either your primary care physician, gynecologist, or plastic surgeon to make sure that your breast health is maintained. Plastic surgeons are generally better equipped to assess augmented breasts, but since breast augmentation is so common, most gyn's and family physicians have experience doing so as well. 
The bottom line is that breast implants do not have a set expiration date and I have patients with breast implants over thirty years who have no problems and are doing well. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  If you have seen or felt some change in the appearance of your breasts it would be best to have them evaluated by your plastic surgeon.  If you are not experiencing any issues, however, there is no need to have them exchanged based solely on their age.  Hope this helps.

Examining implants

if there is no indication for removal such as capsular contraction, you can leave them alone. Some implants can last for 20-30 years without issues. If you have concerns or small changes, it's always best to discuss with your plastic surgeon. I really enjoy seeing my breast augment patients year after year!

Saline implants

saline implants over time will often lead to rippling but the overall shape tends to be stable. If you are happy with your result then there is no acute need to change implants. In my practice I perform a high volume of exchanges from saline to silicone implants. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon