What is the standard OR time for a typical tummy tuck and lipo? (Photo)

I had a consultation with a dr that said he would need 6 hours. Tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks and inner and outer thighs. Is that a normal amount of time? Seems like a long time to me but obviously I'm not a dr.

Tummy tuck time

Based on the photos you sent I think it will take no more than two and a half hours for a tummy tuck and lipo of the flanks. If you are having other areas of liposuction obviously it will add time but I do not perform any surgery greater than 4.5 hours in any case. The risks are just too much for a cosmetic surgery procedure!

Vienna Plastic Surgeon

OR time for tummy tuck with liposuction

It's going to depend on the surgeon, but 6 hours for a tummy tuck with liposuction does not sound out of the ordinary. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Standard OR time for a typical tummy tuck and lipo?

lets come to the point straight, theres no standard time,however it will take atleast 3-4 hours by any decent surgeon,there is no meaning in fast in surgery,it just means you know and have planned all the steps mentally and execute it flawlessly.

Thangavel Ayyappan, MBBS, MS, MCh, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon

What is the standard OR time for a typical TT and lipo?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. A typical TT will take between 2.5 and 3.5 hours, but this can vary tremendously based on the severity of skin and tissue excess, need for muscle plication, and need for umbilical hernia repair.  Adding liposuction may get you close to the 6 hour quote, especially if any position changes are needed.  Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck and lipo

Every surgeon is a bit different, it is more important to get a good result. Best of luck with your surgery.

Tummy and liposuction operating time

Thank you for your question. Based on you photos, a tummy tuck and liposuction to the flanks and thighs surgery could last around 3.5 hours.  Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Tummy tuck and lipo

Dear J,

Thanks for submitting your pictures.  From observing your pictures, you appear to be an ideal candidate for tummy tuck. This procedure will be one of the best investments in yourself. It will give you flat stomach, tight and youthful skin, nice belly button, improved body posture and most likely will help you lose significant amount of weight due to the abdominal muscles tightening which will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger. That weight loss could save you the need for liposuction. Only about 10% of my tummy tuck patients request liposuction.

As far as combining  tummy tuck with liposction at the same time, in my practice, I do not recommend it,  due to the significant increase in severe complication . I have not done it in my over 29 years of practice.  In a recent article, based on data from insurance company that insures only cosmetic surgery, it was demonstrated that combination of tummy tuck and liposuction increase the severe complication rate X 10, in comparison to tummy tuck alone. Also, in Florida, it is illegal to perform tummy tuck and liposuction over 1000 cc( relatively small amount ) , due to the large number of complications including deaths.

Not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good and safe outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely, to avoid bad result and need for corrective surgery.   

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons , who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive.

Best of luck ,

Dr Widder

Every doctor is different

I agree with one of the posts you need an extended tummy tuck. Lipo is fairly quick and I would estimate this procedure to take me 4 hours or less. The time in surgery is not as important as the skill of the doctor. 6 hours is fine but 8 hours would make me wonder if the doctor was competent.  You want a board certified plastic surgeon and a certified out patient  surgery center. Hospital based cosmetic surgery has a huge risk of you getting someones germs and an infection. That risk is about 7% based on government study. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  The typical time for this procedure is 3 hours, but every surgeon is different.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Surgical time

The time each surgeon spend performing a Tummy Tuck will depend on the anesthetic procedure, how many other procedures she/he does and the team who is helping. 

In my hands a Full Tumny Tuck, muscle repair, liposuction and Fat transfer to the buttocks will take me 4  hours and the anesthetic procedure and the cleaning protocol will add another hour easily. 

So no bad timing of what your doctor mentioned. 

Dr Cardenas