Need your advice about a breast augmentation. Nearby or out of town?

I'm thinking about getting a breast augmentation and was wondering is it better to get it done near by or should I go out of town? I know there is always a possibility that something can go wrong like I may need to follow up or might have an infection anything can happen and if I needed to see my surgeon I'm afraid I won't be able to fly out to see him.What do you think?

Be very careful not to be tricked by gimmicks and do your research. Plan to have a responsible caregiver. If you are traveling by yourself then call ahead and get recommendations from your surgeons office about places to stay and reliable post operative caregivers that they have used before. It is also a good idea to inquire about purchasing cosmetic insurance that will cover complications that could occur within 30 days after surgery. Complications  that are associate with the cosmetic procedure are usually not covered by your regular health insurance.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Breast Augmentation and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Doctor

Thank you for the question.  No matter if you pick local doctor or an out of town doctor you need to make sure they are a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Once you have a list of Board Certified Plastic Surgeons you like, then make sure you pick a surgeon you feel comfortable with.  Staying local vs out of town is your choice.  Staying local will make the follow up visits easier on you and if there is a complication they will be near by.  No matter where you decide to have your surgery make sure they are a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good Luck 

Implant surgery

You are best to have it done locally if you have a good surgeon in your area because post-op care is important.

Breast augmentation: Nearby or out of town?

Good question. It should not be difficult to find a local (within a 60-mile radius) qualified plastic surgeon. I believe you are right. Your follow-up care will be much easier if you see a doctor nearby. You'll also have one less thing to be concerned about. Good luck. For more information on tis and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Hi-

I feel more comfortable if my patients are local for the exact reasons you specified. However, that being said the most important factor is finding a board certified plastic surgeon you trust that you feel will be able to get you the result your looking for. Good Luck! 

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Surgery near by vs out of town

For a breast augmentation, I would highly recommend using a plastic surgeon who is at least within driving distance. You will benefit from a long term relationship with your plastic surgeon as opposed to having the surgery without follow up.   You need to be monitored frequently post op to ensure you are doing well and to recognize and treat any issues early, should they arise.  You will need follow up for a year or longer in case late effects such as malposition, scarring, capsule, etc develop.  It can be difficult to find a surgeon who will assume care for out of town or out of country surgery.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for the question. It is always better to pick someone close to you. If there is a need for any emergency issues, someone closer to you can help better than someone far away. 

As long as it is within driving distance I would suggest you should be fine. During a consultation, the size and shape of the implants will be reviewed with you. It is best to pick an implant that matches your size and frame. 

The surgery typically takes about an hour under full anesthesia. You should estimate about a week off of work and  month out of the gym. You should always opt for under the muscle implants for the most natural look, and lowest risk of complication ( capsular contracture )

All implants come with a lifetime warranty against rupture or deflation. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

You are correct, It is advisable to try and find a reputable board certified plastic surgeon in your area so you can continue to be under the care of that surgeon who operated on you. Most doctors will want to continue with you throughout your post operative period to make sure everything is healing nicely and no complications are arising. If a complication arose, you may be require to fly/drive long distance to see this doctor again or find another doctor willing to take you on as a patient for aftercare and both can be costly. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

Thank you for your question.  It is always better to have access to your surgeon if something happens.  The money you save by going somewhere else can easily be lost if you have to travel to see your doctor for an issue.  It is ultimately about feeling comfortable with your surgeon for your procedure.  You are in area with a large amount of very highly qualified plastic surgeons who have the skill to give you an excellent result.  If you are trying to save money, you may end up spending more in the end if a complication were to arise.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon.  All the best,

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

If you feel that you can achieve the best results with a local surgeon, being local is better for followup.