Going back to work after BA....

I work 4 days a week as a dental hygienist. My surgery will be on a Thursday and I will return on Tuesday. So I will be working from 7:30-5:00 Tuesday-Thursday. I am wondering if that is too soon? My office knows and I will have help lifting lead aprons and moving xray arms. I am concerned about the use of my arms while cleaning the patients mouth as sometimes I have to lift my elbows to the side.

Going back to work after BA...

Hi, nlttexa.
Thanks for your question.
Everyone recover at different rate after surgery.
Most of my patients take pain medication for couple days.  
If they have desk job, they take off 3-4 days from work.
If they have a more strenuous job, they will take off 2-4 weeks.
If your colleagues are going to help you with lifting and moving x-ray arms, that would be helpful.
In general, please try to rest and relax as much as you can and ease back to your work.
Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

Take one whole week off

I do not recommend rushing after surgery.  Things can go wrong. Do not take chance. Take a few more days off from your work.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Going Back to work

Thanks for your question. I have found that every patient is different. Most of my patients are able to return to most jobs in 2 to 3 days. When all of the movement of the arms is below the elbow, there should not be much aggravation of the backround uncomfortable post op feeling. We tell our patients to lift with their legs and avoid resisted movements of the arms inward (flys). Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Most patients are able to return to light office work one week after breast augmentation.  We recommend no lifting anything more than 5-15 lbs for the first two weeks after surgery.  For more strenuous activites that involve use of the chest muscles, we strongly recommend waiting at least 2 motnhs after surgery.

Best rgeards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Return to work

It seems as if you have a couple tasks related to your job which will impact your returning to work. I typically find that repetitive fine hand motion can be resumed fairly quickly after surgery. Lifting at heavy lead apron may be more of an issue and up to 10 days may be a better length of time before returning to this activity.Obviously this needs to be discussed with your surgeon prior to having surgery.

Breast augmentation recovery

The recovery from breast augmentation is relatively quick.  Most of my patients who have their procedure on a Wed/Thurs are back to a desk job by Monday.  However, your work has some strenuous activity involved.  My suggestion would be to take 5-7 days off to give yourself more time to heal.  I do recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (working out, weight training etc) for 3-4 weeks.   Please talk to your PS about his/her recommendations.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Recovery

Recovery from Breast augmentation is generally very quick and most of my patients who have surgery on Thursday or Friday can return to a desk job on Monday.

John Burns, MD

Too soon to work?

Thank you for your question. Based on the physical requirements and length of your work day it may be a little soon to return to your full work schedule. You could possibly take a week off and return to half time without the lifting for a couple of weeks. Discuss this with your employer and surgeon. Best wishes.

Limitation will likely be fatigue or spasm

Thanks for your question. I have had several dental hygenists that had augmentations. Usually 5 days is enough time, but most have said they get tired and muscles get sore and can spasm. If you are able to have a lighter schedule then that would be ideal. I would be more concerned for you about your comfort. I recommend that my patients take Aleve or Advil and use ice. Check with your surgeon about this. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Going back to work after Breast Augmentation

That may be too soon. Many times patients don't get enough rest , butrition(think 3 proteinshakes/day) and the hassle of driving. A car incident could make you bleed. INCISIONS have a funny way of not cooperating. 

These are all risks.  

Hope this helps!
DR J