Will I be eligible for tummy tuck with lipo and will it be worth it at this stage? (photos)

I am currently 5'6 and weigh 230 lbs . My lowest I have weighed since my first child is 180 lbs. I am graduating w/ my bsn in two weeks and as a gift my husband is willing to pay for a tummy tuck . As you can see in the picture, I have fat and skin in my abdominal area. I carry the majority of my weight in my in my abd. can a tummy tuck help me greatly reduce my midsection and contour? I have a two month window before I start working and will not be able to take time off for at least a year .

Will I be eligible for tummy tuck with lipo

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions and pictures.

According with your pictures you would be an excellent candidate for a Tummy Tuck. This procedure is recommended to those women  who are concerned about the accumulation of fat or excess skin in the abdomen and does not improve despite diet or exercise físico. This surgery is especially useful in women who have had multiple pregnancies , after which the skin and abdominal muscles have relaxed and have not recovered their initial tone.

Also you need to loss weight, like 40-50 pounds, because your BMI is too high.

Hope to hear from you soon , best wishes!!

Candidate for Tummy Tuck

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is a plastic surgery procedure designed to flatten the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat, and to tighten the abdominal wall. Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them.

Abdominoplasty candidates have:

·       excess abdominal skin which may sag

·       a disproportionate or protruding abdomen

·       weakened or separated abdominal muscles

·       excess fat concentrated in the abdomen 

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity, family traits, age, immobility.

When it comes to the beginning of the healing process here is some of the basic information I provide to my patients:

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Multiple procedures, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for the procedures you want at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I would wait to optimize your results of the TT

Thank you for the question>

Unfortunately you have a lot of intra-abdominal fat tat this time.  A TT at this time will not result in a good outcome.  You will not have any appreciable waist contour.

It is frustrating to not have the result that you want after undergoing a procedure. 

It would be best if you undertook a weigh reduction program with the assistance of you family physician, a nutritionist or your personal trainer.  After you have a significant weight loss, book a consult with a board certified PS in your city and get his / her opinion about what you can expect with this operation. 

I have done 1000's of abdominoplasties over the last 22 years and all my patients appreciate an honest answer if in the long term the surgical results exceed their expectations. 

Congratulations on your BSN.  That is an amazing accomplishment!

Scott K. M. Barr, MD FRCSC, Plastic Surgeon, Ontario, Canada

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

5'6" 230 pounds tummy tuck?

Thanks for your photo and questions.  Though I think you would benefit from a tummy tuck, I think the potential benefit would be greater if you wait and allow yourself to lose another 40 or so pounds. This will reduce the visceral fat that will resist tightening of your muscles and impair the quality of your surgical outcome.  I understand the time pressure and although you can proceed at this weight you must expect a less impressive improvement at 230 pounds.  Whichever decision you make I wish you best of luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tummy tuck candidate?

Thanks for the question.  I would not recommend a tummy tuck at this point because of the minimal improvement in contour that it has to offer.  You would be better served to start on a weight loss plan and lose as much weight as possible.  That allows for the most amount of tissue to be removed at the time of the tummy tuck. 

Will I be eligible for tummy tuck with lipo and will it be worth it at this stage

Although a tummy tuck will eliminate the saggy skin on your lower abdomen, I think that will be the extent of the improvement. I think there will be little to no change in the contour of your abdomen due to the large amount of visceral or intra-abdominal fat you have. Whether to proceed or not depends on what you are willing to accept with that limitation.

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy Tuck

You can certainly get a TT and see a big change but almost all of the change will be below the belly button. As you have pointed out, you carry your weight in your abdomen and that is in the visceral fat behind the muscles. It is this fat that causes the upper abdominal protrusion and cannot be corrected to any significance with surgery. As long as youa re realistic in your expectations you should be pleased with the results. And congrats on your attaining your BSN.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck

Yes you would be a candidate for a full tummy tuck and the time off you have would be the perfect time for this procedure. Patients typically recover in 2-3 weeks post full tummy tuck.  Tummy tuck results have improved dramatically over the last few years. Advances in tummy tuck that you should demand include

1) a low incision line which is a) establishes a proportionate belly to private (genital) triangle, and b) can be hidden in undergarment/swim wear.

2)an innie belly button which has the neoumbilicus (belly button ring) hidden in the shadow of the newly created belly button stalk

3)differential repair of the abdominal muscles (below and above the belly button) which will provide you the optimal contour and avoid the muffin top deformity.

4)avoiding overdissection of the lateral belly soft tissues; this will ensure a more pronounced waist line rather than a barrel/trunk appearance which will make your torso appear shapeless.

Please see link below for more information regarding tummy tuck pearls.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

#extendedabdominoplasty #tummytuck #liposuction

Based on your photos, you appear to carry quite a bit of your weight in the upper abdomen. This is intra abdominal fat and cannot be effectively treated with liposuction, only weight loss. An extended abdominoplasty with liposuction will contour your lower abdomen but you would still have the upper abdominal fat. I would recommend you try to get your weight down to a comfortable level prior to considering this surgery, even though you may miss your initial window of opportunity.

I do think a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be a good idea. Ask for post operative photos of patients with your body shape and decide if the end result is an acceptable outcome. Even if you decide to wait, you will have started your journey!

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon