My vagina is black and some loose skin hanging out. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am worried about the colour of my vagina as it not similar to the rest of my body. Also there is a long wrinkled skin that is hanging out and overlaps and covers my vagina which I feel is abnormal and makes me very insecure about myself. Please advise.

You shouldn't feel insecure about having a normal appearing vagina

Many women have darker skin around the labia. Sometimes it develops after pregnancy. Other times, it develops at puberty even if there is no pregnancy. It's not abnormal. If you don't like the appearance of long, wrinkled labia because of your own aesthetic sense, then labiaplasty would certainly be an option. Nonetheless, there is no medical basis for your insecurity.

My vagina is black and some loose skin hanging out. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  A well-planned labiaplasty procedure will help to minimize the appearance of the labia minora (the tissue you are grasping in your photographs) and I would recommend skin care products to lighten the overall color if that is of interest.  The skin of the genital regions is often darker than the skin pigmentation of the rest of your body.  Hope this helps.

My vaginal lips are so dark!

Whether you are a caucasian/European, African, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, etc. woman, your "sex skin" (the skin around your vagina, vulva, nipples/areola,) is always darker than the rest of your skin, especially if you have had children. This is normal. While there are bleaching solutions, lasers, and surgical procedures that may lighten the skin colour in this area, you are "normal" as you are! A well performed labiaplasty will minimize the amount of skin, but may not "lighten" the colour.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Enlarged labia minora

you have enlargement of the labia minora or inner labia which is very common and very normal. A labiaplasty is a procedure than can reduce the tissue in a safe way without nerve injury if you find the right doctor. Look at lots of photos and reviews and study each doc before the consult. Don't settle for someone local if they don't make you feel comfortable!

Black labia

Dear AR;
What you are showing and pulling on is the not technically the vagina but instead the labia minora.  What is shown in the photos is absolutely normal unless you feel it is problematic for you.  50% of  American Women of African descent who want to have the labia minora reduced  prefer to have dark or black labia minora.  Only you can make the decision if you want to have a labia minora reduction but doing so with a wedge resection will not change the color of your labia to a lighter color and in your situation due to the amount of surface area of the dark skin  even a linear resection will not change the color of the labia.  It is possible to the bleach the area but this is a personal decision.  If you choose to get a labiaplasty i.e. labia minora reduction please choose a surgeon based upon experience, expertise, reputation and results and not on location or board certification.  
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverlly Hills ~ Dubai

Treatment for "black, loose skin hanging out" of vagina?

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.  Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD