Hematoma evacuation after gynecomatsia surgery. Why did this happen? (Photo)

I had gynecomatsia surgery for both sides on 12/12/2015. Then i developed hematoma on left side and the blood removed in 3 separate times. Still there was some blood clot which my doctor left there to be absorbed. 4 days earlier when i woke up there was blood coming out from my left nipple and it seems not stopping. Then my doctor fully evacuated the blood and said he washed the area and no blood left. Why did it happen? Should i continue to wear my compression belt? Will hematoma come again?

Bleeding After Gynecomastia Surgeon

Hi JohnKT,
Thanks for the post and photos. Hematoma is a known risk of gynecomastia surgery. Things such as over-activity, blood thinning medications, or an underlying bleeding issue that was not known before surgery could be responsible. I would be in close communication with your surgeon regarding this new bleeding. I would also limit your activity on the left side and continue wearing compression until you get in to see your surgeon.

Dr. Dadvand

Bleeding can be caused by too much activity, such as gym exercise while in the healing phase.  Also, blood thinners and trauma can cause hematomas.  I would limit my activities until totally healed, and continue wearing your compression garment.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Are you sure is an haematoma?

From the photo looks like more a bleeding episode of the nipple. It is difficult to say from the pictures. Anyway an hepatoma after gynaecomastia is quiet frequent , it doesn't look bad. In case you need to see your doctor . `He may aspirate it with a syringe in the office or id it's a bit one  very painful he may decide to open and perform a surgical evacuation . 
Rest and compression are crucial 

Massimiliano Marcellino, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Risk of Hematoma

There are many surgical risks occurring with the completion of gynecomastia surgery including the following:

Blood clots • Hematoma • Breast contour irregularities • Anesthesia risks • Infection • Breast asymmetry • Breast shape irregularities • Scarring • Fluid accumulation • Persistent pain • Temporary or permanent changes in breast or nipple sensation 

It is unfortunate that this may have taken so long to appear after your procedure, but it is a good idea to take problems like this with post-op healing directly to your surgeon to have the area examined for any corrections or treatment possibly needed. All the best to you.