Are open wounds normal? (photos)

I have 2 open wounds on my right boob. One is just below my nipple and the second one is under my right boob and is leaking some yellowish colour fluid. Is this all normal? I don't see my surgen till the 3 months Mark. Is this something I should be worried about?

Open areas after breast surgery

Thanks for your question.

I understand your concern about the small open areas after your surgery. These are not uncommon and usually heal over time with just some local care.

Because this was an augmentation/lift?, my concerns would be more directed to the situation with the underlying implant. Closer follow-up would be appropriate in this situation compared with a lift or reduction without an underlying implant.

Your surgeon should be informed of any changes and will know how concerning this is. My expectation is that by giving you a 3 month follow up after examining you, he/she doesn't have much concern about impending problems to an underlying implant? You should be sure to make sure you are communicating well with your surgeon.

Good luck!

Rocky Mount Plastic Surgeon

Open wounds

It is not unusual to have wounds such as this at the T junction. These will heal and the most important aspect is that the wounds do not get infected. I would stay in contact with your PS.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Are open wounds normal?

You should communicate this with your surgeon to get direction on how to manage and care for this issue. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation - recovery

This will heal without any problem.  Occasionally a visit to your surgeon at 3-4 weeks is recommended in case the wounds have a suture at the base of them that is spitting out and  not being absorbed.  Otherwise thing look normal.  Best Wishes!!

Open wounds

Open wounds are not normal after breast augmentation alone, but based on your pictures it appears as though you had a combined lift and augmentation.  The areas having problems healing in your picture are common areas to have minor wound healing issues with the scar pattern you have.   I would certainly contact your surgeon sooner than later just because with an implant involved we are usually a little more concerned about staying on top of it and making sure it is healing normally because we don't want an exposed implant or any contamination or infection of the implant to occur.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Open wounds

It appears you have had a mastopexy or reduction. The areas you have photographed are called "T" zones and are prone to separation after surgery. It does not appear there is much redness associated with these. Redness that is spread suggests infection. My advice is to clean with soap and water in the shower, cover with a light layer of antibiotic cream and allow to close.

Be sure to speak to your surgeon at your follow up.

Hope this helps

Dr. J

Open wounds after augmentation

It appears that you also had a lift or mastopexy with your augmentation. It is not at all uncommon to have some superficial wound opening after the lift surgery. However, on occasion these wounds can mean something deeper or more serious is going on. Please see your surgeon sooner than three months just to be sure.

Open wounds after breast surgery

From your photos, it appears that you may have areas of incisional breakdown. If you had a lift performed concurrently with augmentation, this is not the most uncommon occurrence. However, it would certainly be prudent to contact your plastic surgeon, so that he or she can evaluate the wounds, and guide you in the best course of action, and assess whether any additional treatment is necessary. Best wishes.

Jeffrey Ridha, MD
Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Drainage?

Thank you for your question. An opening along your incision line following breast augmentation is very concerning. I would contact your board certified plastic surgeon today for an in-person examination. The opening can range from a minor superficial wound healing issue which will resolve on its own to major infection around the implant. Hope this helps.