I'm wondering how much weight a doctor will want me to lose before a tummy tuck surgery. (Photo)

I am 5'7 194 pounds it runs in my family to have a lot belly weight.. My dad looks as pregnant as I do..

How much weight to lose

Prior to your tummy tuck, you should be at a stable weight which you can maintain. This allows the surgeon to contour your abdomen and flanks appropriately and not expect drastic changes. You probably have a considerable amount of fat intra-abdominaly, and you need to speak with your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding realistic expectations.

Fall River Plastic Surgeon

How much weight

Thanks for the question. In many plastic surgery practices we are willing to operate on patients with a BMI of 30 or below to reduce your risks. You are pretty close already. Losing about 10-15 lbs will help. Good luck. 

Dr. Burnett

Weight Loss and Tummy Tuck

In a perfect world you would lose about 35 lbs or so which would bring your BMI to a more acceptable level.  As you know, however, we do not live in a perfect world.  If you can lose this weight prior to surgery that would be ideal.  The next best is to be at a stable weight that you can maintain into the future.  From your pictures it appears that you carry much of your weight in your abdomen. If the excess fat is just below the skin and your muscles are loose then a tummy tuck may be quite helpful.  If the majority of the fat is within the abdominal cavity (around your internal organs) then a tummy tuck may not be very beneficial.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to advise you about this when you have your examination.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

I'm wondering how much weight a doctor will want me to lose before a tummy tuck surgery.

Different surgeons will have different opinions on this.   Safety of the procedure as well as your goals for body proportions are important.

TT , how much weight should I lose?

First of all be sure to see a board certified surgeon who does alot of TT procedures.  We suggest you to try to loose about 30 pounds but be sure to understand the TT even if you cant lose this weight can still be achieved if your overall health is good.  We ask for an EKG and cbc blood panel to prequalify you for surgery. 

Dr. Derby Sang Caputo

Hello Melissa,
this is Dr. Derby Sang Caputo from the Dominican Republic.
I understand how frustrating this can be but I encourage you to stay positive and just try to continue to work on your diet until the day of the surgery, reducing the fatty tissue on the stomach allows me to pull your abdominal skin tighter, flatter, and smoother. But there are lots of clients who suffer from excessive belly fat from a genetic background, this means that you can train and diet as much as you want but you will never get rid completely of all belly fat. You are already a good patient to operate on but i do recommend you to combine the Tummy Tuck procedure with a liposculpture to get the BEST results.

Dr. Derby Sang Caputo

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Are you happy with your current weight

If you you are unhappy with your weight you should loose as much weight as possible, before having surgery. There is no question that you will have a much better result if your weight is close to normal. If you go down to 160 that will put you at a BMI of 25, which will decrease the chances of having wound complications and obtaining a better result.
be sure to seek the help of a surgeon member of the ASAPS

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question. Preferably, it would be best if you reach what you would consider your "ideal" weight and be sure that your weight is stable. It seems that you have a significant amount of intra-abdominal fat, so make sure you communicate with your surgeon about your body goals and make sure they are realistic. Be sure to follow your surgeons pre-operative instructions. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Tummy Tuck

Great question and every doctor and patient collaborates for a different approach.  In my practice, I greatly rely on the changes in weight over time. That means that if you are actively losing weight each week, I prefer to wait for surgery until your measurements stabilize.

Howard Sutkin, MD

Thank you for the question and pictures. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.