Is a 52 year old with an IUD a FemiLift candidate?

I'm a 52yr old women having never given birth with an IUD. I do have urinary incontinence when sneezing or coughing. Would I be a candidate for 3 FemiLift treatments?

There is no problem with using Femilift in a patient with an IUD.  The laser burns less than a millimeter into the tisuse (without pain its so superficial), so an IUD will have no impact on this.  Its possible that the string will get damaged though, which can be avoided by pushing it temporarily up into the cervix.   Femilift works quite well for mild to moderate urinary incontinence.  Good luck!

Though the company suggest not to do FemiLift with an IUD insitu, but many doctors are doing it and we are not seeing any problem.

I personally role the string of iud up into the canal before the procedure and pull it down after.

As far as urinary incontinence, as far as it is not sever, yes you do will see a mark improvement.

Best of Luck

The presence of an IUD is not a contraindication for Femilift

The presence of an IUD is not a contraindication to the Femilift procedure and should not be affected during treatments.  Because there are many causes and treatments for urinary incontinence, it is more difficult to predict who will respond better to surgery, exercises or the new laser procedures when stress incontinence.  I've found that women whose symptoms worsened with menopause seem to get a better response from Femilift.  The best we can do with surgery(bladder slings - the gold standard) is about 85% improvement in stress incontinence.  If you can accept a potential improvement but with less risks and no downtime, then it is worth a try.  Hope this helps you make a decision.  

Joi Davis, DO
Pewaukee OB/GYN

FemiLift improves urinary incontinence in many women

While the treatment of incontinence with FemiLift or MonaLisa is effective in some women, it works better when the incontinence is mild and not associated with a large degree of cystocele or urethrocele. You will lose nothing by doing session #1 to see if your incontinence improves, but if it doesn't, the chance of improvement with sessions 2 or 3 is low. For this reason, I would recommend a pay as you go approach rather than investing a larger sum up front for something that might not do the job. The IUD is not an issue.

FemiLift for SUI

Yes, the FemiLift is an excellent option for stress urinary incontinence. You will also notice enhanced vaginal sensation and moisture. Many of my patients will also have an O-Shot during one of the laser treatments to enhance orgasm response and reduce urinary symptoms further.

An IUD is not a contraindication.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD

Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

YES YES, a fabulous candidate.

Not only will you benefit from the improvement of urinary incontinence, but the Femilift will also help with vaginal atrophy, lubrication, improved vaginal pH balance...

Best of luck.

Femilift with IUD

Thanks for your question.  The FemiLift can be done with the IUD in place.  The way the Laser is aimed is not toward your cervix but toward the vaginal wall so it would not touch the IUD string.  If your incontinence is bothering you and not from a completely prolapsed urethra and/or bladder it would be an excellent option.  Hope this is helpful

Dr. ODell