Concerned that this is either recessing gumline or gingivitis at some stage? (photo)

I am not sure if this type of gum recession is worrysome, or could potentially be normal, anatomically speaking for myself. Just curious at DMD/DDS thoughts. Thanks!

Gum Recession or Gingivitis

Yes, you are showing signs of gum recession and gum inflammation. I would recommend a consult with a periodontist (gum specialist) to evaluate the gum condition. You will most probably need some periodontal procedures like gum grafting to fix the defect. 

Gum Recession

It looks like it may be a combination of both. I see exposure of the root as well as deep redness that is indicative of an inflammatory process. Please see a periodontist as soon as possible for an evaluation. The way I would treat this is to control the infection and reconstruct using Alloderm and a vestibular extension and lateral bridge flap.