Propecia/or generic form.After taking for almost a year and a half wanted to quit, yet afraid shedding more. What to do? (photo)

If we get transplant fine is medication still needed?

If you want to change your medication, it is best to contact your doctor who prescribed the medication.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Wanting to stop finesteride, what are my options?

morehearing,

Thanks for the question. What meds are you taking in addition to Propecia? Why do you want to discontinue finesteride? Any issues? Finesteride use combined with minoxidil can have a synergistic benefit that can be very significant. It looks that your donor may be very good so you might be an excellent candidate for hair transplantation. Employing about 3000 follicles to restore the frontal part of your scalp can produce an excellent framing of your face. Of course, there is the option to enhance the transplant with cellular therapy which can enhance the healing,growth of the transplant and may foster the re-growth of the hair in the crown area. 

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Treatment options!

Oral Finasteride is not the only treatment.  There is many others options for you my friend! Like topical finasteride, human growth factors and stem cells. Beside that you are an extraordinary patient for hair restoration with a pretty good donor area. So you have many options now!!! All the best!!

Sara Salas, MD
Mexico Hair Restoration Surgeon

Another treatment that can help

It is perfectly ok if you want to change for a different treatment. There are many options in the market nowadays. I understand how frustrating it can be to suffer of hair loss. I want to make a remark on the fact that any non-surgical treatments that you perform are to be continued for life in order for them to stop the hair from falling.A successful treatment that I always recommend is the PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma). This procedure consists on getting some of your blood and putting it in a machine that will separate the different ingredients that are in the blood. From those ingredients we take the growth factors and inject them in your scalp. These growth factors will start working in your follicles enhancing your hair and reducing (and even stopping) the rate of your hair loss.Best of lucks and I hope you find this useful.

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon