I would like to know what all could I get done to my body after going from 353 to 153? I'm 5'6 and 48 yrs old ! (photos)

I have a panniculectomy already with hernia repaired with 8x10 mesh !

Mommy Makeover Following Major Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss success! It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

After major weight loss options for mommy makeover are variable.

The photographs don't really provide a lot of information. On balance after major weight loss some type of abdominoplasty occasionally the extent and variety is indicated. Most benefit from a mastopexy or breast reduction. Liposuction is a common accompaniment of these procedures.

Surgery Following Major Weight Loss

Congratulations to you on such a great accomplishment! Many of our major weight loss patients come to us with a long "wish list" of procedures following such a dramatic shift in their body. It is not uncommon for us to see someone like you who wants to be lifted from head to toe!  The key to a successful outcome is prioritizing.  Because there are usually several problem areas to address, we like to ask the patient to start by picking what bothers them the most and then create a list of what they might change... Just like you, the tummy is usually the first place most patients will start.  Other common surgeries are breast lift and augmentation (to replace volume and remove excess skin); thigh lift; brachioplasties (removal of excess arm skin); and facelift.  What and how much you want to do is entirely personal.  Make sure to see a plastic surgeon who specializes in this type of surgery and ask for referrals.  Good luck!

Larry Pollack, MD

I would like to know what all could I get done to my body after going from 353 to 153? I'm 5'6 and 48 yrs old !

There are probably several possibilities here, but this will depend upon what areas bother you.  I would search for the surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results. Look at reviews and before and after pictures on that surgeon's website.

Thank you for your questions, but it is very broad and the photos you've submitted don't show enough to be useful.  In general, massive weight loss patients benefit from arm lifts, tummy tucks, breast lifts and thigh lifts.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Arms!

Lets face it, the arms are out in a lot of clothing choices.  They can be hard to conceal.  After > 100 lb. weight loss, they almost certainly need help.  Thighs are easy to hide, and so are the buttocks.  In my view, after big weight loss, priorities should probably be: abdomen, arms, breast, face/neck and then the lower body procedures.  We do a lot of it out here in BH, and the results are gratifying for both the patients and myself.  

Ritu Chopra, MD

Body Contouring Options

Thank you for your question.  In general terms a lateral thigh/buttock lift is an option.  Liposuction for further contouring is another.  Arm and thighlifts are effective for contouring the extremities. Breast lifts with or without augmentation contour the breasts.  Upper body lifts are an option in some patients.  Finally face and neck lifts can rejuvenate the face.  As you can see, body contouring after weight loss can be quite involved. An in person consultation to discuss your areas of concern is the best way to find out which procedure may be right for you.

Massive weight loss options

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your weight loss.  Specific photographs of the areas of concern would be very helpful to provide optimal advice.  Generally speaking, patients like yourself have a great many options with regards to surgery.  Most massive weight loss patients will benefit the most from a body lift/circumferential tummy tuck to start.  This will address the excess skin around the abdomen, flanks, and back.  The next stage could include a breast lift with implants combined with an arm lift or inner thigh lift.  Some patients also pursue a transverse upper back lift to address the excess skin along the bra rolls.  I would seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring after massive weight loss and share your concers/goals.  Good luck.  

Surgery after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss and you have many options for sculpting your new body based on what bothers you the most

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. There typically are a number of “problem areas” after this degree of weight loss;  which areas  you wish to address becomes a very personal decision. My best suggestion: meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your areas of concern and surgical options. Ask to see lots of examples of their work achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have had “massive” weight loss, helpful to you as you learn more about options available. Best wishes.