Did my silicone implant rupture & if so do I have to fix it? I've noticed no visual difference, but I can feel it.

I have had silicone implants for 2.5 years. My left breast has always felt fake & my right has felt more "real". I believe because of injuries that happened to my right breast when I first got them. Last week my cousin punched me as hard as she could in my left breast & now it doesn't feel "fake" anymore. There was some pain for a few days & it goten better. Today I tried to examine it & it hurts a bit. I'm not sure if it's my imagination but it feels like it kind of pops when I push it.

Closed capsulotomy

It is very likely that your "fake" breast had capsular contracture (cc). That is a condition where the scar tissue is tight around the implant, giving a firm and sometimes hard breast. Many surgeons used to use a technique (closed capsulotomy) of squeezing the breast firmly enough that the scar tissue ruptures but not so hard as to damage the implant. If the breast is struck firmly enough I can imagine the same result. The implant is most likely fine. Only an MRI can confirm that.  

Of note, closed capsulotomy doesn't work very well. The scar tissue usually becomes firm again. 

I would encourage you to return to your PS for examination. Best of luck!

Implant rupture

Thank you for your question. It is unlikely rupture but sure can not tell without examining and if needed some radiological tests. Please see your PS for evaluation.

Ruptured silicone breast implant after blunt trauma?

Hi mandilynnTXgirl
It is really impossible to tell if you have a rupture 100% without an exam by your doctor, and if in doubt, an MRI is in order.  You may be able to feel and hear a pop for a number of reasons, but again, only an exam will answer which one is responsible.
Please schedule with your doctor at your earliest convenience.
All the best.
Sek

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your breast implant related issues.  Unfortunately without an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite advice and I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to assess the integrity of your implants.  Best wishes.

Is my implant ruptured?

Thank  you for your question.The only real way to confirm a silicone implant has ruptured is an MRI. Unlike a saline implant where the saline will leave the implant and be reabsorbed by the body leaving a deflated breast, the silicone will remain in the capsule and so may not appear to be deflated or ruptured. Best to visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. If the implant has ruptured, the manufacturer will will typically replace both implants within 10 years of surgery.Good Luck!

Possible Revision Needed

When you have breast augmentation performed by a plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic surgery you greatly improve your chances of getting the result you want without the need for a revision surgery. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast augmentation and the incision type, implant placement, and implant type. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your breast augmentation. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons’ actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.At this point the best thing to do with concerns from your original procedure would be to see the same plastic surgeon again to have the implant evaluated for a rupture and decide yourself if you would like a revision. If you find yourself uncomfortable visiting the same surgeon, then it would be good to seek out local board certified surgeons for new consultation. You will be able to get new information about what may have happened and what can be done to revise your implants if needed.

Did my silicone implant rupture & if so do I have to fix it? I've noticed no visual difference, but I can feel it

Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can properly examine you to figure out what is going on. You may also benefit from imaging studies (like an MRI) to determine whether or not the implant is intact. Good luck!

Closed capsulotomy

This sounds more like you had a capsular contracture that was released by closed capslotomy with the new trauma.  An MRI might clarify things.

Did my silicone implant rupture? = get a check up with your plastic surgeon #breastaugmentation #BA #breastimplants

Patients with questions and concern about their breast augmentation should contact the plastic surgeon that performed the procedure to address these concerns and determine if there is need any need of management

John Mesa, MD